Skype, Logitech webcam, missing sound

compumac 10:55 19 Mar 2008

My daughter has an Athlon 1Gb processor with 512Mb memory. She also has Skype V3.6 and a Logitech webcam. We seem to have a problem with the sound. If we use the webcam as a microphone and Windows sound recorder it records and plays back without any problem whatsoever repeatedly. If we use Skype and use the Echo test the played back sound is repeatedly very disjointed and incoherent. A dialogue box comes up sometimes when doing the test indicating there is high background noise, but there is no other sound in the room apart from the PC itself.

We check the Skype audio settings and the correct configuration is seemingly selected in respect of webcam and audio playback.

Despite the echo check not being effective, if we make a call using Skype, vision is OK both ways, the recipient can hear us but we cannot hear them. The reversal would have been expected to be true after using the Skype echo check.

The only known difference between when it was working relatively OK, (but by no means perfect), was after the computer was moved to a different location.

Would anyone like to express any thoughts at all, please?

oldbeefer2 11:02 19 Mar 2008

Doesn't explain the lack of sound, but have you tried using a headset? I skype with Oz and found that using speakers and mike gave a lot of feedback noise - perfect over the headset.

compumac 11:08 19 Mar 2008

I am at this time contemplating a headset but I would be still curious as to this problem. I might go that way if I cannot find an answer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?