Skype & Logitech webcam

Rutlander 09:05 03 Jun 2007

I used Skype successfully with a cheap microphone costing about £1.30
Now I have got a webcam - Logitech Quickcam Pro 5000 -and the vision is alright but sometimes I cannot hear the other person and other times they cannot hear me.
The sound is usually alright for the first minute and then there is silence.
I know other people who have bought webcams but have had to go back to their old microphones for the sound.
Can anybody help with the settings?

Bagsey 09:15 03 Jun 2007

One of the main problems that I found was feed back from the loud speakers situated behind me and facing straight at the microphone. I got round this by switching of the mike in the webcam and using my house phone for sound. To do this I used an Actiontech box costing about £25.00 . Now I can make excellent contact arround the world.

technonovice 18:19 15 Aug 2007

I also have trouble with Quickcam Pro 5000 and the sound. Skype to Skype is OK but calls to landlines on SkypeOut are awful - the people I call say I sound as if I am at the bottom of the sea or talking into a barrel. I have the playback mic. muted. On Windows XP Skypeout worked fine, now I have Vista. Anyone know if the problem is Vista-related?

Stuartli 18:55 15 Aug 2007

Is your onboard sound or sound card listed as the Default Sound Device in Skype (Tools>Options)?

Skype advice on sound configuration and problems at:

click here

technonovice 11:37 16 Aug 2007

Thanks for the link Stuartli - but in Vista nothing looks like that! I find it impossible to work out the Vista alternatives from the info. given for XP

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?