Skype Laptop Webcam

Legslip 22:54 17 Sep 2009

I have an inbuilt webcam on my laptop and never bothered to use it. How difficult is it too set up and use via a Skype account?

Any guidelines?

ashleycardwell94 23:16 17 Sep 2009

it is the easiest thing to do, just start a video call to someone and it should find your camera as ling as it is on and not being used by another application and it is enabled

Stuartli 23:30 17 Sep 2009

If you go to Skype's Tools>Options>Video Settings>Webcam Settings button, you can configure the webcam to be the Default device, along with any other requirements.

It's best if you have one of the latest versions of Skype, which are set up to provide superior video performance.

Stuartli 23:32 17 Sep 2009
  Legslip 23:40 17 Sep 2009

Thank you Ashley & Stuart. I am sure that I will crack the issue with your given info. Much appreciated.
Mind you, are there any other means of talking with family/friends using a built in webcam other than using Skype. A whole new area for me!

golfpro 07:24 18 Sep 2009

A good tip: When you connect with someone in Skype and they say they can't see you, Right click on the video screen and from the pull down menu click on "Start my Video".

"Mind you, are there any other means of talking with family/friends using a built in web cam other than using Skype. A whole new area for me"!

There are but Skype is the best, but don't forget you can only use it if you have money in your account even when phoning Skype to Skype which doesn't cost anything but you still have to have funds there (see the Skype home page for transferring funds to your account).

oldbeefer2 09:29 18 Sep 2009

Don't need funds to use Skype computer to computer.

Stuartli 09:45 18 Sep 2009

As oldbeefer2 rightly states, normal Skype use from PC to PC is completely free.

Sea Urchin 10:11 18 Sep 2009

Agree - I've never had any funds in my Skype account (don't make Skype Out calls) but have used it for many years.

Technotiger 10:21 18 Sep 2009

Hmm, not like you, to be so totally wrong (re: Having money in account), where on earth did you get that idea from?

As the others have said, Skype to Skype is totally Free!

Legslip 22:05 18 Sep 2009

Thank you good people for your contributions. Some excellent responses which I will follow and get up 'n running.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?