281apple 09:16 28 Aug 2008

I can call several people on Skype and the audio and the video are very good. Then, among my contacts, there is one person with whom I often have problems. Their vidéo stays frozen on my monitor and their voice often sound as if they are submerged in a swimming pool. And then a few days later, their voice and video quality is very good. They can see me and hear me on their monitor. Where is the problem? On my computer? On their computer? Because of Skype? Because of the satellite? Any ideas?

mike40 09:34 28 Aug 2008

Why not try the skype forum and faq's. You will probably find the answer there. I sometimes get this when talking to Canada and I feel it is probably down to the weather

Mike

oldbeefer2 09:45 28 Aug 2008

Bear in mind that upload speeds are much less than download. So, if their connection is not particularly good you could get the effects you see (I have this problem with my daughter in Oz who uses a mobile connection).

281apple 09:47 28 Aug 2008

Mike, thanks for your reply. I, and friends of mine, have checked it out on the skype forum and faq's several times and thoroughly but have not found the answer. If you have found the answer, please let me know. And of course Skype never answers an Email query. I agree there could be a weather disturbance problem. My daughter who lives in Bogota has skype. It worked well for months then suddenly it became bad up to the point we stopped using it. Then she sent me an Email saying that she had refromatted her computer and would like to try again. All is well now. But it could be the weather also, I agree.

281apple 09:56 28 Aug 2008

Oldbeefer2, thanks. I did not know that. But aren't upload or download speeds affected by the processor of the computer and the internet connection speed, and as Mike (see above) said the weather. Are there other considerations which could affect quality reception or transmission? Maybe I could find the answer in the Skype forum or faq's?

oldbeefer2 10:17 28 Aug 2008

Not the processor speed, but the connection speed. This can vary dramatically throughout the day (if ADSL), but I don't think the weather comes into it. If your Canadian contact could check their broadband speed using one of the many checkers, it might give a clue to the problem.

oldbeefer2 10:18 28 Aug 2008

Whoops -'Canadian' - getting confused with mike 40, but the principle still applies!

Stuartli 10:48 28 Aug 2008

Also see, just to make sure (!):

click here

281apple 17:50 28 Aug 2008

Could you give me a tip as to where to find broadband speed. That is not for me but for a friend. I use Cable Internet, TV et Phone et my outgoing speed is about 6mo whereas my incoming speed is about 68mo, providing I'm reading them right, but in any case they are both faster than ADSL (I think). You say that weather does not affect quality with Skype, I've heard, however, that thunder storms can wrech havoc with connections. I have not experienced it, but I've heard about it. How can one prove anything in this area? I think it is hit and miss seeking for a reasonable explanation. But you have helped my thinking process Oldbeefer2.

Stuartli: I checked out what you suggested but it does not answer my question; I've read Skype forums and FAQ's in and out and they do not cover my problem.

Stuartli 18:36 28 Aug 2008

I was merely suggesting that you did a check as to whether your Skype sound setup was correctly configured.

Many people are surprised that it is different to what they anticipate, especially with regard to Muting the microphone settings.

oldbeefer2 21:39 28 Aug 2008

This is one that seems to give fairly consistent results - click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?