skyDSL

Pidder 09:46 15 Dec 2006

Does anyone use skyDSL, not the SKY TV system but a ?German? system that uses a satellite dish to download Broadband, uploads being via phone line dial-up?

dms05 07:51 16 Dec 2006

I don't use sky DSL but I have in the past used OpenSky which is offered by Eutelsat.

I depends why you are considering this rather than ADSL over copper. I used OpenSky because I couldn't have ADSL. It is then a viable (if expensive) option as you either use a standard dial up ISP or (the very expensive) two way communication DSL. The latter needs £2k of equipment and costs £100/month.

Limitations are very restricted download volume at high speed and very slow 'best effort' once you are over the limit - no faster than dial up. You need to be connected by phone to make the download work so you pay twice - unless you buy the two way system.

Interesting features include emails without connection (they are sent from the satellite to you when they arrive but your PC has to be 'on'), FileFetch which offers downloads of favourite 'files' which you can select offline. Some TV available.

As soon as I could have ADSL over copper I switched - it's just a better deal.

Pidder 10:24 16 Dec 2006

Thanks for yours. My enquiry was for my son and his wife who live out in the sticks (in Buckinghamshire) and can't get copper BB. He's having trouble getting a satellite signal. Your comments rather bear out my thinking after reading the manual. Thanks.

dms05 15:46 16 Dec 2006

The most cost effective solution is click here

OnSpeed will give you up to a 5 times improvement on a normal 56kbps dial up service. It's not Broadband because you can't use the phone whilst on the Internet but it's much better than dial up when in use. And...it only costs £2 a month.

Pidder 16:21 16 Dec 2006

Thanks, will pass your comments on.

(Must change my name).

Ashrich 22:57 16 Dec 2006

I'm in " the sticks " in Buckinghamshire and cannot get BB over copper , in our village we use Avanti Broadband , you need to have at least 10 households in the area who want it before they come out to do a survey and if all is Ok they can arrange for a 2-way satellite transceiver and dish to be fitted at a suitable location and the rest of the users have Repeatit wireless single port router modems fitted on the outside of the house pointing towards the main aerial . It works reasonably well although you do get a bit of lag , but for downloading big files it's great , click here for contact details , starts at £ 25.00/month .

Ashley

Pidder 11:49 17 Dec 2006

Anywhere near Hillesden by any chance?

Ashrich 15:23 17 Dec 2006

Hambleden Valley , between High Wycombe and Henley-on-Thames , Bucks/Oxon borders .

Ashley

Weskit 17:38 17 Dec 2006

Thanks, will pass your information on. P.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires