Sky Wireless and Edimax 7318 USG Adapter

User-1298483 09:19 03 Oct 2008

I have recently tried to set up Sky broadband with an Edimax 7318USG Adapter. The signal strength is showing as very good on available networks but when I connect the strength is minimal or zero. If I try to connect via Windows the 'Password' is not accepted. I have telephoned Sky who have told me I need to reconfigure the encryption on the Edimax adapter, but I have no idea how to do this. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

mgmcc 11:49 03 Oct 2008

You shouldn't normally have to configure a Wireless Network Adapter manually. By running the adapter's software, scanning for "Available Wireless Networks", selecting the one whose SSID matches that of your Router and "Connecting" to it, you should be prompted for any WEP/WPA encryption key. Once "Connected", a profile is saved with all of the settings, so that connection in future is automatic if the wireless network is available.

The actual type of encryption, and the "key" used to connect, is set up within the *ROUTER'S* wireless security settings, not the WiFi adapter's, although the settings the adapter gets will necessarily have to match those in the router

User-1298483 15:13 03 Oct 2008

Thanks for that. The problem I get is when prompted for the encryption key and entering it (correctly) it tells me that the key has a different number of characters. (This was not the case when using the ethernet cable during inital installation). This is probably just my own incompetence but I'm afraif I'm no technological whizzkid.

mgmcc 19:24 03 Oct 2008

If you are using WEP encryption, the number of characters is critical.

64-bit WEP must use 5 ASCII or 10 Hexadecimal characters.

128-bit WEP must use 13 ASCII or 26 Hexadecimal characters.

ASCII characters are basically all letters and numbers (but do actually include symbols too).

Hexadecimal characters are the numbers "0" to "9" and letters "a" to "f" only, a total of 16 available characters.

Some wireless networking hardware doesn't like ASCII keys, so it is generally preferable to use a Hexadecimal key. The problem you're having *MAY* be that you are trying to enter an ASCII key with a WiFi adapter that requires a Hex key, hence an invalid number of characters being reported.

User-1298483 09:37 04 Oct 2008

Thanks once again. However, the problem is now resolved. The guy who installed it changed the network key without telling us. Everything is working swimmingly now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone