Sky TV (Free Sat)

rawprawn 08:31 07 Mar 2009

Sorry not computers, but I live in an area that cannot even get Freeview until 2011.
I have contracted to buy a box for £73 fitted which will give me FreeSat, and a 4 months entertainment pack.
The question is can I get (Transmit) sky from that box to my other 2 tv's in the house (1 analogue & 1 digital)Also will I be able to record from the Sky box to my analogue VHS recorder.
If so how? and what is the best way.
I know nothing about digital TV at all.

Graham. 09:01 07 Mar 2009

Is this Sky Freesat?

A Sky receiver has two analogue outputs, one of which will allow for a remote control (this needs to be switched on). You can distribute this to other TVs, using normal aerial connectors.

If the VHS has a Scart socket, you can connect to the receiver using that. The receiver has two Scart sockets. If not, use one of the analogue outputs.

Graham. 09:13 07 Mar 2009

You will need to set the frequency of the RF outputs and turn on the power for the remote control mentioned above.

On the remote, Services, 4 0 1, Select, 4.

You will then need to tune the other TVs to that frequency. If there is interference from a nearby channel, change the frequency.

rawprawn 09:16 07 Mar 2009

Thanks for the reply, I was told after the 4 months "free" I could cancel the Entertainment Pack and keep the Sky box which would give me about 150 channels Free. I assumed this was Freesat and freeview.
What are "normal aerial connectors" are they like Routers?
My VHS has a Scart Socket so that should be OK.

rawprawn 09:19 07 Mar 2009

"You will need to set the frequency of the RF outputs and turn on the power for the remote control mentioned above".

I assume this will be in the instructions, although the Sky engineer is supposed to set it up. I don't even know what RF outputs are.

muddypaws 09:24 07 Mar 2009

rawprawn
Have you seen this site--extremely helpful if ( in the unlikely event) you require further help than is available here. Work your way to the appropriate forum.
click here

howard64 09:30 07 Mar 2009

I have sky freesat and my video recorder can record from it using the av channel on the recorder. You can only record the channel you are watching/set on with the sky box.

rawprawn 09:30 07 Mar 2009

Thanks for the link I will have a close look at the satellite Forum.

Graham. 09:47 07 Mar 2009

Analogue outputs = RF outputs. It's the same as from a normal aerial socket, use normal aerial cable.

There are two Freesats, Sky and BBC/ITV. They both come from the same satellite, so can be received on the same dish.

If you wish to receive BBC/ITV Freesat, you will need a seperate receiver.

rawprawn 10:09 07 Mar 2009

Thanks for the information, but how do I transmit the signal from my lounge to my bedroom?(the TV in our bedroom is a small digital model)

rawprawn 10:12 07 Mar 2009

For example, I have found this from muddtpaws link
click here
will that do the trick?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?