Sky Netgear router & Windows 98

Confused! 13:20 25 Oct 2007

I have Sky broadband and have installed the standard Netgear router supplied to the main computer in the study. I can use the laptop to connect remotely. The problem I have is my daughter's somewhat ancient computer in her bedroom running Windows 98. There is a Belkin card installed and a green icon in the system tray showing an excellent connection. I still cannot get the internet. I think that is has something to do with the network key. The Sky one is 8 digits and the computer tells me the network password needs 40 bits or 104 bits depending on the network connection - entered as 5 or 13 ascii characters or 10or 26 hexadecimal characters. Also, which other of the boxes do I need checked?

Please help.

dms05 18:03 25 Oct 2007

It looks as if the computer is using WEP encryption whereas the Sky Netgear is using WPA. I seem to remember the Sky manual tells you how to downgrade to WEP. Take a look but remember WEP isn't as secure as WPA.

Ashrich 18:23 25 Oct 2007

Select 128bit encryption ( 26 hexadecimal characters ) and add each PC using the netgear to the MAC filter for a bit of extra security . To change the security setting type 192.168.0.1 in to the address bar of your browser and you'll see the login page ( admin in admin , password in password ...I think ) and find the wireless set up page , you should be able to change things from there .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?