Sky free broardband offer(£40 connection

Pamy 15:09 11 Aug 2006

Hello everyone, my friend has been offered this deal. He has an old Intel 166 cpu computer that he uses for letter writting only. would this be OK for this offer and what would he recieve in order to connect it up?, like a router, plugs ,cable etc.

anchor 15:33 11 Aug 2006

It seems that you get a "wireless Sky Broadband box", and, (from the picture on their site), the necessary plugs, etc.

click here

It doesn't say how their "box" connects to the PC; possibly by Ethernet, which your friend may have to install first.

Pamy 15:48 11 Aug 2006

Thanks for the link. Do you know if the speed of the cpu would be a problem. He/we would have to get and fit a ethernet card

Stuartli 16:12 11 Aug 2006

Most ISPs recommend at least a 200MHz Intel Pentium CPU and that's for very basic BB speeds.

I find the Sky broadband deals a very strange mixture - the best one appears to be the £10 a month version with free installation..:-)

Pamy 16:29 11 Aug 2006

thanks, I do not know if his computer has PCI slots, so allthough it may be possible to get an ethernet card I do not think we would get a wireless card

anchor 11:40 12 Aug 2006

As stated by Stuartli the recommended minimum processor speed by most ISP`s is 200Mhz. Madasafish, (previously ic24), even say 350Mhz.

I am not sure what the result would be with his rather slow processor.

He would not need a wireless card, if the PC was connected directly to the router from the PCI Ethernet card.

Pamy 14:42 12 Aug 2006

cheers anchor, not even sure he has PCI slots. I have advised him to look for another computer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?