Sky Broadband What installation problems are there

compumac 13:09 19 Oct 2007

A friend has contacted me as he wishes to move from dialup to Sky broadband. Unforunately he rarely sees pitfalls in advance and assumes that installing anything should not be a problem. I prefer to consider what could/might happen and therefore ask as to whether anyone cares to advise on what problems there might occur in installation, specifically for Sky?

I also ask the question as I am considering moving over from BT to Sky myself.

I remember having problems when I first went onto Broaband many aeons ago but cannot remember the actual details.

Ashrich 22:40 19 Oct 2007

As far as I can remember , the Sky wireless routers , usually a Netgear DG834g , arrive at your house preconfigured , just plug them in , let it synchronise with the exchange , and when you connect to it , enter the security code that comes on the documentation , that SHOULD be it , although Sky only guarantee and internet connection , their email used to be dire , although it is now run with Googlemail , so is a lot more reliable .

Ashley

Ashrich 22:41 19 Oct 2007

that should say " an internet connection "

Ashley

Dipso 23:25 19 Oct 2007

Sky supply a modified Netgear DG83GT.

The main gripes I see are people opting for the 16 Meg service but being capped by Sky at 8 Meg as their lines can't cope with the high speed connection.

I would advise checking out your internal phone wiring before connection to ensure the best service possible click here If at all possible connect the router through the master socket.

Graham. 23:52 19 Oct 2007

Check there is a Network socket on the PC for the router.

Consider disconnecting the Ring wires for extensions at the Master socket - this often increases the speed.

Dipso, Sky don't cap, if you can't get 16 you can't get it.

Graham. 23:54 19 Oct 2007
  Dipso 23:56 19 Oct 2007
  Graham. 00:12 20 Oct 2007

The 'System' will negotiate the fastest speed, up to 16 Meg. No-one physically does this, although they can intervene and make fine adjustments if necessary.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?