sky broadband - usb adapter or PCI?

  1610 12:11 28 Jun 2008

I am just about to install my new Sky Broadband and go wireless would you recommend a usb wireless adapter or a PCI - whatever that is?

  daba 22:39 28 Jun 2008

PCI is the internal bus/socket system on your PCs motherboard.

Put simply, you can buy PCI wireless ethernet adaptor cards which are installed into your PC in a PCI socket. These usually have an aerial on the outside of the card. Take a look at click here for samples.

USB wireless dongles plug into a spare USB port on the PC. Take a look at click here for examples.

Personally I'd go fo a PCI card myself, as its going to be a permanent installation, so won't tie-up a USB socket.

  Technotiger 22:40 28 Jun 2008

I agree with daba, PCI ethernet card is the better option.

  Technotiger 22:42 28 Jun 2008

PS - I bought just such a card locally two weeks ago for fitting to a friends' PC - cost £7.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?