sky broadband through a usb modem from tiscali?

Superstylin 13:23 18 Jan 2007

hi. right now we have sky broadband via a netgear router. the problem is i'm about to leave with my laptop and am leaving a v.old system behind - through which the internet will need to be connected - but it has no network card and i can't get into the thing to install one (old 'time' system with proprietary screw fixings).
so, my question is, when i leave can i use the old usb modem to set sky up or should i be sourcing another usb modem from sky?
any help is greatly appreciated

Dipso 14:28 18 Jan 2007

Firstly you need to be aware of this "Your router from Sky is locked down with your username and password for use on Sky. As part of your terms and conditions of signing up to Sky broadband, you agreed to use their hardware that they supply. Currently the Netgear D834GT." but
click here

If you successfully manage to get the username/password I can't see in theory why you couldn't use the USB modem BUT will it cope with the faster speeds?

Dipso 14:29 18 Jan 2007

Sorry ßeta didn't refresh before I posted.

Superstylin 18:27 18 Jan 2007

hi guys,
thanks for the replies
beta i tried to follow the steps from asanine monkey but at the point where you need to 'contact the embedded telnet server' it asks for a login and password. i've tried admin and password, admin and sky, sky and admin but nothing!

Superstylin 18:33 18 Jan 2007

i also downloaded the netgear router utility but it says the file is corrupt!

Superstylin 18:40 18 Jan 2007

got it!
used info from philipnicosia's website
cheers guys
won't be using it just now but i'll get back to you when i do
thanks again

Superstylin 15:10 05 Mar 2007

managed to get a wireless usb adaptor up and running in the old machine so the usb modem has become unnecessary! resolved of sorts :s

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?