SKY Broadband security

DerekE 08:14 16 Mar 2007

Windows XP with SP2, I have AVG A/V, ZoneAlarm firewall, Ad Aware and Spybot which I run weekly. Despite all this, I recently opened a web page and on the adverts on one side of the page, they were advertising services in my local town where my BroadBand exchange is located.

How can this happen and do I have a security "leak"?

kinger 10:10 16 Mar 2007

You need to surf anonymously to stop them knowing your area, whereby your connection goes to another location before reaching their servers.

Typing 'surf anonymously' into your favourtie seach engine will list some tools to help you do this.

vinnyT 12:31 16 Mar 2007

It's nothing to worry about, they don't have any special knowledge of you personally.

They just know your internet connection's IP address, which is transmitted everytime you are on the net (though it is usually dynamic, so changes each time), which gives them a general area, ie at the moment mine is 81-179-118-236.dsl.pipex.com, from which you can easily deduce that I a m with pipex, from the string of numbers you would have other details such as general area.

Stop worrying, you have no problem, but if you wish to check your security, you could try steve gibsons sheilds up (free) test, click here

Hope this helps.

DerekE 16:50 16 Mar 2007

Thanks to you both for this prompt response, I will try these 2 suggestions but I am now reassured that I am safe

vinnyT 12:33 17 Mar 2007

Welcome

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?