Sky Broadband Router and Belkin Network Card

superhoops 23:52 27 Sep 2006

I am hoping someone can help me. I have a sky broadband wireless router (Netgear) and a laptop with a Belkin wireless notebook network card. My problems started with the sky router needing me to use WPA as the security protocol. My belkin network card however can only accept WEP. I eventually found out how to get the sky router to use WEP rather than WPA. By visiting 192.168.0.1 I generated a WEP key. However when I enter this into the Belkin Wireless utility I get the message: "The access point network is already configured. Please change either the network name or network type before adding this entry to the preferred list."
As a result I am unable to connect wirelessly.I would be grateful for any help. This is just sooooo confusing to me!!

Strawballs 09:29 28 Sep 2006
  ade.h 14:00 28 Sep 2006

If you were using WZC instead of the management software, I could advise you further and give specifics. It's a pity that you bought a PCI card that does not support WPA.

superhoops 17:58 28 Sep 2006

I think I will just get a new PCI card for the laptop. The one I have been trying to use is about 3 years old from when I used to have my desktop and laptop connected. Now I only have a laptop and really want to be able to use it around the house so will buy a new PCI card. Thanks for the replies

ade.h 18:21 28 Sep 2006
  ade.h 17:17 29 Sep 2006

Yes, but why ask for a PCI card if he/she doesn't want one?!

superhoops 18:11 29 Sep 2006

What I meant was buy a new more modern notebook wireless network card that uses WPA rather than WEP then hopefully I can make my laptop wireless

ade.h 18:13 29 Sep 2006

That's PCMCIA Type II.

ade.h 18:15 29 Sep 2006

click here This is a bargain and supports WPA and WPA2. Quality brand as well.

superhoops 18:25 29 Sep 2006

Thanks ade.h your help is appreciated

ade.h 19:19 29 Sep 2006

Happy to help!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?