Sky Broadband Problems

RJack 10:48 13 Nov 2007

After being connected to Sky broadband for nearly over a week wirelessly my laptop (ACER Inspire 16402) will now not allow me to browse the internet.

The connection on the bottom right of the toolbar says i am connected & the signal strength is excellent however when i try to browse the internet it is unable to find an connection.

I have checked to make sure the LAN button says enabled on my Laptop but it still won't connect despite picking up my Sky router on available networks.

I also have a desktop which is connected wirelessly & this is working fine although & i am able to browse the internet. The signal strength on my desktop is Very Good.

Also despite connecting microfilters to all my phone points & having my telephone line checked my phone has developed a crackly line since installing Sky Broadband.

I have tried phoning Sky's technical helpdesk & without appearing to be rude i have found them as about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Any help & advice would be well received

Many thanks

xania 16:03 13 Nov 2007

My first advice would be to drop them (I did only 1 week into my contract after trapping them in their second lie). But, if you've got a good connection in one of your computer's their side of the bargain sems to be holding up and you need to look elsewhere. Disconnect everything then add a bit at a time ntil the crackle occurs. ALso, if one PC works and the other doesn't, could be a damaged installation of either the receiver software or the OPerating System. But try the telephpne problem forst and report back.

RJack 14:09 15 Nov 2007

Hi just to let you know i managed to get the laptop to browse again. Not quite sure how i done it though. I know it had something to do with the DNS though.

We regards to the phoneline the crackling seems to have settled down a bit but we are still waiting for an engineer to check our line

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?