Sky Broadband: Cant acess Net via Wireless network

JimSmith 14:04 01 Oct 2007

Just got sky broadband but cant access net via wireless network.My laptop recognises the sky netgear 0681 OK. Pls help.

Thks
P.S.direct ethernet connection works fine.

daxian 15:00 01 Oct 2007

hi jim ....
when you say "the laptop sees the netgear ok",
i presume you mean it is picking up the wireless connections available ....is this correct?
also what o/s is it useing ,xp or vista ?Dave.

JimSmith 15:28 01 Oct 2007

Dave,
yes, its picking up the wireless connection. I have Win XP sp2. My prob is the same as below. However it does'nt provide the exact steps to overcome the porblem. Jim

click here

JimSmith 15:30 01 Oct 2007

Dave,
oops the links not been inlcuded.

daxian 16:03 01 Oct 2007

hi again ....
so from what im reading on the other thread ..your laptop is not recieving an ip address from the router
and sits there trying to connect all the time but never actually gets an address ....therfore no connection ...does that sound right to you???

JimSmith 16:49 01 Oct 2007

Yep, you got it. Its forever acquiring the network address.

daxian 17:15 01 Oct 2007

hi again jim ....make sure you have the ethernet cable disconnected when trying to connect wireless, then if that fails the first thing to try is updating the drivers in the laptop for the wireless lan ... get the newest version available ...best place would be the manufacturers website .
also check in the properties of the wireless card that it is set to dhcp ...(get an ip from the router)
Dave.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?