Sky Broadband

6huckle5 12:23 22 Oct 2007

Foolishly, I have switched from AOL to SKY. Sky has activated my account but not sent a Router (apparently they do this a lot). I now find out that the Router has been sent to an invalid address so will not be with me for some time yet.
Can someone assist me in configuring my existing Router "NETGEAR DG834GT" to connect to Sky Broadband ??

RobCharles1981 12:28 22 Oct 2007

Login to your router setup page something like 192.168.0.1 and go into ADSL Settings and enter your sky username and password, this might work perhaps others can claryfy the same thing?

6huckle5 12:34 22 Oct 2007

Nope, tried that, the only username and password you get is for your email.

mad1234 13:19 22 Oct 2007

i do believe that your username & password come with the router:( which unfortunately for you doesn't help.
perhaps you can call sky & ask them for your username & password. see if they will give you it or even a temporary one till your router arrives.

6huckle5 14:34 22 Oct 2007

Yes, I understand that SKY use Netgear routers and then put on their own software, which is protected.

Simply, if you decide to go with SKY Broadband you have to use their router !! Does this not breach a monopoly of some sorts ??

It can get worse, e.g. if your router fails you can't just pop down to your local PC outlet and buy another and back on the internet as soon as you get home. No ! you have to contact Herr Sky ! and get them to dispatch a replacement....eta "whenever !!!"

Moral of the story: DO NOT SWITCH TO SKY BROADBAND. YOU MAY JUST LIVE TO REGRET IT !!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?