sky broadband

strech 08:31 21 Jul 2006

i ive been looking at sky broadband and it seems
a deal but i was wandering if it was BT costomers
only i carnt find anything
im on telewest

thanks in advance

Graham ® 09:24 21 Jul 2006

You will need a copper phone line into your premises. At present this is normally provided by BT, but Sky propose to site their own equipment in BT exchanges to connect to this line. This is known as Local Loop Unbundling.

Although you would no longer be paying BT to rent the line, who would maintain it and repair faults is not clear. If it was subcontracted to BT engineers, it is tempting to suggest their hearts would not be in it!

Be aware that Ofcom has announced the lifting of restraints on BT's charges from August 1st
click here, allowing them to compete with offers such as Sky.

For my money, I would stick to BT until the picture becomes clearer. 'It's your call'.

pj123 10:39 21 Jul 2006

Are you a Sky TV subscriber? Is your telephone line connected to your digibox?

Can't see anything about only BT customers on their website

click here

Click on the Terms and Conditions link

skeletal 11:33 21 Jul 2006

I’ve been interested in all these developments myself as I think Telewest charges are getting comparatively high (about £60 per month broadband, basic TV which has poor picture quality (IMHO) due to over-compression, and phone). But I need to use Telewest’s cable as the BT lines in my road are crumbing away and continually breaking.

I hoped Sky broadband was via satellite...I would be very interested then.

Skeletal

Lettervanman 13:18 21 Jul 2006

As far as the line to your property is concerned, BT would still own it and have responsibility for repairs.
I previously worked in Electricity Supply and it is the same there. The local distributer owns and maintains the system regardless from whom you buy your juice.

However, there does seem to be a delay when BT acts for others. It has been suggested that it is policy from the top.
I think it is worth waiting for all the players to join the market. If you have a reliable provider it may count for more that pure cost.

dms05 13:42 21 Jul 2006

If you are an existing Sky customer the savings, going from your existing ISP (using a BT line), to the Sky deal saves you much of the cost of your Sky subscription. The Sky deal isn't available nationwide yet but if you are in one of the initial areas covered it's difficult to find any reason for refusing the offer. Unless you work for BT. Full details click here

dms05 13:44 21 Jul 2006

Better to click here! click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?