Sky Broadband

hallc 14:49 04 Mar 2006

Hi All
I am in the middle of downloading sky to my pc, I`m looking for some feed back on the good/bad aspects to this, it seems quite a large download
I run win xp with aol as isp.
C

MidgetMan 15:57 04 Mar 2006

I did install it but found that the files were taking so long to come down, this is because it is in fact a peer to peer programme so the files are being seeded by other users and not form a central server. This is a fact that sky try to not make blatant, it is only by reading the very fine print that it becomes obvious. I uninstalled it ( a very hard job in its self.

You also have the issue of drm, the films you download can only be watched for I think 30 days then lock, they also cannot be moved to disc for future watching.

All in all I was not happy with, if I wanted my pc to be used as in effect a seed server I would use bit torrent etc, it is also a pain to get rid, slows the pc down, uses your download limit and bandwidth etc (it still works in the background to seed even though the programme is closed.

I would do a little more research before you install it, there are a number of forums on the net that deal with this programme (google them).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?