Sky Braodband Router Problems!!

theons100 19:51 24 May 2007

Hi to all

I have recently got Sky BB and am using their Netgear Router that they have provided. On my previous BB (Tiscali) I installed a PCI Modem inside my PC.

The problem I am facing at the moment is that everytime I switch off my PC my Router stays on. When I then switch on the PC most of the time I open up IE7 and it tells me there is no connection. I have to then go through the hassle of using the "Diagnose connection problems" link to re-establish the connection. Is there a way that I can set up the Router to switch off when I shut down the PC? Also does anyone have any idea why I have to go through the "Diagnosis" everytime?

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Regards

Kate B 19:59 24 May 2007

You should just be able to leave the router on all the time - I do. There's no way to get it to power down when you turn off the PC; you'd have to switch it off at the wall.

Is it a wireless connection that's failing? Try changing the wireless channel - most equipment defaults to channel 11 and if you've got neighbours within range and with their own routers they'll probably all be on channel 11 and possibly interfering with each other.

bruno 20:04 24 May 2007

I had a similar problem and found that there is Power Management in the router and if you untick the box, it gets better.Does not go away altogether,but was definitely better on mine.Go to Start/control panel/network connections/local area connections/properties/configure/power management/untick top box.

theons100 08:31 25 May 2007

Many thanks Kate B and Bruno. Will give that a shot and hopefully it will improve.
Regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?