Sky box help needed

Bike-it 22:48 03 Nov 2009

I recently got a sky box from a relative who passed away, but today i took my own sky box out as it was an older box and replaced it with the box i received from my relative and put my own sky viewing card into the box, but i can get almost all the sky channels, but when i was using my own sky box i could only get basic channels, which i was paying for.
so do i inform sky about this or what other action should i take.
I thought it was the viewing card that decided which channels you were getting, is this the case.

Spark6 23:06 03 Nov 2009

Sounds like your relative's box has been 'modified'.

2neat 23:07 03 Nov 2009

so you can receive more channels than you are paying for! If you get all the channels you had before then enjoy whilst it lasts. Eventually you will need to ring sky to match the card to the box.
U a geocacher?

PalaeoBill 23:09 03 Nov 2009

The box and viewing card are tied. When my old Panasonic Sky box died and I had to replace it, I swapped the viewing card over but couldn't get all of the channels on the new box. I had to telephone Sky and get my viewing card linked to the serial number of the new box. Then all was fine.
You will probably find that the box will work for a while but then when the periodic check for a viewing card is made it will lose the extra channels.

Graham. 23:48 03 Nov 2009

Ooh 'eck!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone