Skipping when playing music on media players

willnewcastle 01:25 19 May 2007

When i'm playing music on media players such as Windows player or iTunes, sometimes music skips, or the sound is muffled. There is also some skipping when playing cds (cds are not faulty and dont't skip if i play them on a cd player). I was asking DELL for advice, also some of my friends suggested things, i tried a lot of different options trying to sort this problem, but so far haven't managed to sort it out. Any ideas what's causing the skipping, and how to get rid of it?

johnnyrocker 10:24 19 May 2007

could be being affected by other progs running at the same time, try running as stand alone

johnny.

possibly audio codec damaged or faulty
try
click here

willnewcastle 13:21 19 May 2007

No, it's defenitely not other programes running at the same time, because i've tried closing down other programes and using only media player, and it still skips.

willnewcastle
did you try the codec pack?

willnewcastle 18:07 20 May 2007

Yeah, thanx, i downloaded that codec pack. Then tried to download some music onto itunes but skipping continues...

how to check dma and reset
click here

willnewcastle 21:55 20 May 2007

I have tried that, everything looks ok, except "current transfer mode" for device 1 comes up as "not applicable" for both primary and secondary IDE channels. But transfer mode was set to "DMA if available" in all cases...

dma if available might not mean its in dma mode
go into device manager
ide ata/atapi controllers
and uninstall secondary ide channel and re boot

willnewcastle 23:17 20 May 2007

I have performed this operation. I will try to download one of my cds on iTunes tomorrow, and see if skipping will continue...

Boarder 00:12 21 May 2007

I was using NERO to burn CDs and had same prob, this error dissapeared when i used Alchohol 120%, Worth a try??!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?