skipping sound and slow system...Help!

manicGPz 18:14 05 Sep 2003

Hi everybody,
I have a problem with my system, I run XP home on a 1.6 GHz Athlon Mesh build, 512 Mb Ram, radeon 9000 Graphics card..
My kids installed an old game last week (colin Mc Rae rally 1.0) but could not get it to run.I had system restore turned off due to the blaster virus, and did not think to turn it back on (i know, I wasn't thinking) I used the compatibility program to run the game, specifically XP themes turned off. The game went ok, but the sound kept on skipping slightly, I have had this before on older games and thought it was par for the course.When running a CD, I found the sound skipping and slowing appallingly, and the boot up is now three times as slow as once it was,and the system does not run as quick as before.
I decided to uninstall the game, but the sound problem remained. I deleted all the game keys from the registry,still the same.
Thought it might have been a corrupted sound driver, so downloaded and installed the latest C-media driver, still the same.
Thought it might have altered DirectX so downloaded latest,still the same.
Checked the services table, no out of the ordinary ones are running, so did not think it was that.
CPU runs at 40/50 % when running cd, so I think that's roughly about right.
Downloaded latest ATI driver, made the system even slower, so rolled back the system using restore (learned my lesson!)
All codecs look fine, but I have two Indeo ones, 3.1 and 5.2, thought I might uninstall 3.1 in case of a conflict, but keeps reappearing after boot up.....
I realise that this is long and boring, but can anyone help? I have tried phoning Mesh Tech about 40 times but no reply/answer, and everyone is stumped when I ask...

Thanks for any help/constructive suggestions..

ManicRevere

Kitz E Kat 21:34 06 Sep 2003

Bump!

manicGPz 00:48 07 Sep 2003

Uh?? Is there any one that can help?
Thanx in advance.

hugh-265156 01:04 07 Sep 2003

any errors in event viewer? control panel/administrative tools/event viewer

any yellow question marks beside sound video and game controllers in device manager? control panel/system/hardware/device manager

you say above that indeo codec "keeps reappearing after boot up" try clicking start/run and type msconfig,click the start up tab and untick all but your AV and firewall and restart the computer.

try the direct x troubleshooter,click start/run and type dxdiag click on the sound and music tabs and run the tests.also click more help/sound or troubleshooter tabs.

all i can think off.

manicGPz 16:25 07 Sep 2003

thanks for the ideas but I've tried most of this, I turned event viewer off a long time ago because of the resources it takes up running in the back ground...I don't know if the two codecs can exist on the same system or if this is the reason for all the problems, but if I untick most of the stuff in msconfig, when i go to boot up I have to re-activate windows (i love microsoft...!)
so I 'm back to square one unless there are any other ideas...I think it's going to be a complete reinstall of windows, something I'm not relishing with lots to backup on the drive..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?