Sites that will not load

Migwell 07:23 06 Sep 2007

I have IE7 working on my computer and I am using Talktalk.net as my ISP.After I have googled for a site any site at the right hand side of the google page there are sponsored sites and at the top of the page there are also some sites with a lemon back ground. All those sites I can't get on to, and can't find out why. I have gone through all the Internet options and all are set to default. There is also one site in particular I have been trying to get onto for weeks now but again it will not let me near. That site is click here Like the other sites all I get is( Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage ) What could be wrong and how can I fix it this is driving me daft.

Thanks in advance for any help. Migwell

Sheik Yerbouti 07:43 06 Sep 2007

click here

I can't access that page either, maybe the site is down or discontinued.

Regarding the google sponsored links, it's almost certainly some ad blocking software you are running, causing the pages not to be displayed or maybe your security suite software has an ad blocker in it? One way to get around this is to copy the green URL under the blue link in these sponsored ads, and manually paste it into IE7 address box, then hit enter. The other option is to disable any ad block software, and see if this fixes the problem.

johnnyrocker 09:17 06 Sep 2007

i cant access site either ie6 xp pro, sheik yerbouti link just produces a notepad with lots of writing.

johnny

Sheik Yerbouti 12:37 06 Sep 2007

click here

Sorry,I posted wrong link !!

Migwell 17:41 06 Sep 2007

..BUMP..

Sheik Yerbouti 18:13 06 Sep 2007

Migwell.. I take it you aren't using ad blocking software.?

Migwell 00:23 07 Sep 2007

Just the usual stuff but I am also using a thing called hosts, which I needed to stop dell adverts coming onto my desktop. Do you think it could be that, that is causing the problems?

brundle 00:27 07 Sep 2007

The site's broken, I'm using the latest 140+kb MVP hosts file.
Even the cached versions looks as if it was taken over by an opportunist flooding the site with links to adverts. click here

brundle 00:46 07 Sep 2007

Make that 755kb hosts file, 140kb zipped

Sheik Yerbouti 06:46 07 Sep 2007

Yes, migwell,probably the HOSTS file that is causing the google problem, rename it to HOSTS.old and test the google ads, for confirmation.

Migwell 07:35 14 Oct 2007

Sorry to be so long in getting back.
Yes it turned out to be the hosts file stopping the Google links working. I have un-installed it for a while and everything seems to be back to normal. I have kept the program in my downloads folder to re-install it if ever I should find that I need it again.

Thank you for the help, Migwell

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?