Sitecom WL-114 V2: Cannot get IP from ISP

Oranjeschaap 22:17 12 Nov 2008

Some time ago I bought a second-hand Sitecom WL-114 V2 router. I can connect perfectly well to the router but for some reason the router cannot get an IP address from the ISP. The configuration screen of the router says the "Gateway is unreachable", see screenshot:

click here

and log:

click here

I can connect perfectly well when I directly use a cable to connect to my computer (LAN). Here's a screenshot of the Ipconfig for when I'm connected with LAN:

click here

and here for when I'm connected to the router:

click here

The thing is, I'm living at an university campus and I get my internet connection straight "from the wall". In other words: I don't have my own modem and I'm not sure which ISP is used (I live in Utrecht, The Netherlands by the way).

Things I have tried so far:

- Resetting/rebooting router
- Updated to the latest firmware
- Disabled the DHCP server of the router after which I couldn't connect to the router anymore: suddenly had an IP address that started with 169 and according to HoverIP the DHCP server changed to 255.255.255.255
- Turned my router into a switch by plugging the cable in LAN instead of WAN
- Tried to change the settings (in the router configuration screen) to static IP instead of dynamic IP, using the IP address etc. from the ipconfig log from when I'm using LAN.
- Cloned MAC address of my computer to the router.

All to no avail...

Does anyone have an idea? I'm getting quite desperate...all help will be greatly appreciated!

Ashrich 00:08 13 Nov 2008

If you disable DHCP you need to plug your ethernet cable into port 1 instead of the WAN port , but set up your wireless security first as , as you found out , it becomes an Access Point instead of a router , and you can't then log into it .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?