site optimisation

dobbin 09:54 18 Oct 2006

Following advice from a previous posting 'never never
pay anyone to optise your site' I have had a go myself and would appreciate any comments on my attempts click here

harristweed 11:21 18 Oct 2006

Get rid of the frames! Put some text with key words above the images. Use h1 tags for that text. Make sure all images have alt tags (include key words). Get rid of the frames. Sort out the code:
HOME PAGE</em></big></big></big></big></font><!--mstheme-->< /font>

And get rid of the frames!

Yangster 14:40 18 Oct 2006

dobbin, go onto google and type in "dvd case" you will see my website comes up No.1 worldwide for this term my site is dvd-and-media.com

So if you look at my source code you will see how best to optomise your page but also make sure you get yourself some relevant links from other sites with good pageranks

dobbin 16:21 18 Oct 2006

Thanks for the advice to date please keep it coming in. We orinally did the site back in 1999 using Frontpage 98 and from what I can recall frames were the way to do it then. Since then we have fiddled with it a little when we have a bit of spare time, now using Frontpage 2002.
Not sure I understand why frames are so bad but more importantly how do I get rid of them without starting all over again?

Incidentally fourm member I am not sure I agree with you about the homepage contents - google anylitics says the average time on this page is 59 seconds and we frequently get emails from people saying how much they like it.
Still I think I have a very steep learning curve ahead.

PurplePenny 20:02 18 Oct 2006

"Make sure all images have alt tags (include key words)"

No! That is *not* what alt text is for! The alt text should accurately reflect the image that it replaces. If the keywords are not part of the description of the image being replaced then they have no place in the alt text.

dobbin 08:10 19 Oct 2006

Fourm member, you've been really helpful and obviously gone to a lot of trouble on my behalf, thank you. I now understand exactly what you mean by frames and that series of links you sent me illustrated it perfectly. I think you must be a teacher.

Well I've obviously got a lot of work ahead to get rid of those frames. Can I build a web site without frames using Frontpage 2002 or do I need to upgrade?

Nick the tent 12:53 12 Feb 2008

I think that <a href="click here">Marquee Hire </a> is a good site.with the correct amount of keywords and alt tags.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?