Site not found message in IE6

jwilkyone 13:27 24 Sep 2003
  Taff36 13:37 24 Sep 2003

Are you trying to access the URL by selecting it from your Favourites? If so try typing the URL into the address bar and see if it makes a difference. I had a similar problem with a favoutite shortcut becoming corrupt. I solved it by typing it in manually and resaving the site as a favourite.

Also try this page on the same site and then try navigating back to the home page. click here

jwilkyone 13:59 24 Sep 2003

Thanks Taff36. I have tried accessing all pages on the site,jumping from other sites, etc.; as far as I can see I have tried everything. I get the same reply " page not found ". Jumping from your reply gave the same. Could it be a programme I have loaded or something like that?? It must be my computer thats causing the problem as friends can still access the site. jwilkyone

Taff36 14:14 24 Sep 2003

Are you using Windows XP? I assume you have Internet Explorer 6 - If so try this:

go to TOOLS > INTERNET OPTIONS > PRIVACY TAB and under the Web Sites section at the bottom click EDIT. Type in the URL of your site and click the ALLOW button. It will then be put into the bottom pane. This is only a hunch that the site uses cookies and that your computer privacy settings refuse to open the site.

The alternative is to lower your privacy settings and then try the site.

obbit 15:11 24 Sep 2003

hi jwilkyone. you may be having trouble with NTL as i am click here

or could be as Taff36 said.

jwilkyone 16:18 24 Sep 2003

Thanks all for replies so far. Tried Privacy settings, several pages of Marskeonline were already in there so put the main page in but no change.OBBIT .......no problem with other pages only this one site which upto two days ago was completely accessible; now it's not. Will try using system restore and go back a few days in case some programme is causing it. However please keep the ideas coming. TFN Jwilkyone

jwilkyone 16:44 24 Sep 2003

Hi All, Tried system restore to two days previous but XP won't allow it. After my last restore point I downloaded a stack of windows XP hotfixes including SP1 . Could these be the cause?? Anyone any experience of these hotfixes causing problems?? Jwilkyone

jaizko 16:54 24 Sep 2003

Hi jwilkyone. I have the same problem (couldn't link to your missing site either - weird!) I haven't found a solution that works for me but some people have been helped on the ComputerActive.co.uk Readers to the Rescue forum, so you might like to take a look over there. It was something to do with a 'hosts' file . Perhaps someone more technically minded on pcadviser forum would be able to explain.

Like I said, it didn't sort out my problem and I'm still wondering if any of the Microsoft updates can cause this. Anybody know? Jaizko

VoG II 17:09 24 Sep 2003

Do a search for HOSTS (no file extension). If you find it, open it in notepad and see if there is a reference to the site that is giving the error. If there is, rename it to HOSTS.OLD and try the site again.

jwilkyone 17:50 24 Sep 2003

VoG Thanks for your input. Found several " Hosts " but no reference to " click here " which is the site I am unable to access, in any of them. jwilkyone

jwilkyone 21:39 25 Sep 2003

Hi All, Thanks everyone for your efforts. I have no solution yet so must live without that site. I have changed my O.S from XP to ME and my browser to Opera but I cannot link to the site. I have been in touch with the webmaster at the site and he tells me I am not alone with this problem although that is no real help to me. I am letting it drop now. If anyone does have any further suggestions I am " [email protected] "

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?