Site image searching

sean-278262 00:46 14 Jul 2006

Hi all I am starting a website for some of my picture collection. It is a site about cars and pics I have and friends have that we are collecting. However we would like to intergrate a search bar to allow users to find pictures of the cars they desire to see. I am wondering how it would be best to do this. My site is simply a HTML page with little or no fancy stuff going on. Most pages bar the logo are plain text with basic formatting and CSS.

We would like to be able to tag each picture with if the car is
- Sports car
- Race car etc etc

and then the users just seach for it using the search page or they can just browse the galleries is my plan however I have never done a search option before and have no idea where to start. If it is out of my ability I will leave it out but would greatly appreciate any help I can get on ways to do it. I would even welcome other ideas on how I could do it.

Thanks a lot for anything anyone can provide. If I have missed anything I need to post please do ask. However Im a web design noob to the very end. Run a few small sites but nothing fancy like this one.

sean-278262 15:35 14 Jul 2006

Anyone with anything to suggest?

ade.h 16:00 14 Jul 2006

I think you'd need to create a database containing all the images, together with data fields for the kinds of description that you described. A database site could be coded to produce a particular picture or group of pictures, as thumbnails, when someone searches for a matching term.

And that, the theory, is as far as I can get!

sean-278262 16:03 14 Jul 2006

I think you lost me at "Think" not sure though. So really it isnt worth the effort as the site has no intention of being anything major. Just a fun idea I had and want to do. Not interested in messing with databases unless it really is easy.

mco 16:12 14 Jul 2006

Don't know how successful google site searchclick here or my current fave freefindclick here would be at locating photos but have you considered using one or other of them?

ade.h 16:19 14 Jul 2006

For that, you would need to include all relevant data in the alt tags, which can raise its own practicality and accessability issues.

sean-278262 16:19 14 Jul 2006

Looked at the latter kind of thing but I want to be able to find if they are say a hatch back super car muscle car etc ie there can be several different genre of car if you get what I mean. Will enquire about the google thing. Didnt know they had refined it like that and see if that works.

Thanks guys.

A

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone