Site Feedback?

wsces 13:33 14 Sep 2003

Any feedback on any of my sites would be appreciated please....

-Homepage - click here
-Hogwartsweb (Potter themed RPG from a slightly mad phase a few years back) - click here
-*chris - Information Site (bit low on content) - click here

And I also did parts of
-Spalding United FC - click here

Considering I'm only 12....

wsces 13:40 14 Sep 2003

Forgot to mention, It's all coded with raw HTML/ASP/JS no disgusting Frontpage designs for me. Urghhh I'm shuddering at the thought of it.

Forum Editor 17:55 14 Sep 2003

at the thought of FrontPage, but hundreds of professional designers use it regularly. Some very big corporate sites are designed in FP and they're far from being disgusting.

You might try it - I think you'll see that you can come up with one or two improvements on your existing sites. There are quite a few typos in evidence, but I couldn't see much anyway - you've password protected most of the xchris site.

wsces 18:25 14 Sep 2003

I accept that many industry leaders use Frontpage, but the amount of excess code it produces is quite horrible. WYSIWYG editors have certainly come along way but you really can't beat good ol' fashioned Notepad for the real fun of making websites.

Lots of my site is password protected, I recommend you sign up (well I would wouldn't I) for the full experience, it's free, and the only reason you have to sign up is because of the personalisation options which are coming up in future sites. You only have to sign up for one of the sites and your username and password will work for all of the sites, both at the moment and in the future, also soon for unlocking software from my site under the *chrisproudctions brand - click here.

Gaz 25 19:43 14 Sep 2003

Really?

That is very well done, and to learn HTML, ASP, PHP,etc can be very daunting at that age.

Mango Grummit 23:02 14 Sep 2003

May I ask which parts of the Tulips (Spalding United) site you produced, or were involved with?

Forum Editor 02:30 15 Sep 2003

the faster you learn, and you have obviously been doing some learning as far as HTML is concerned.

The days when hand-coding in Notepad was the only real way to build a site are over, but it's currently a thing in the design business to say "I hand-code everything myself". Big sites that interact dynamically with data sources would take far too long to hand-code, and no professional would dream of wasting his/her time doing it that way. Modern software is so good that it's uneconomic to hand-code, although there are rare occasions when I fine-tune something in Notepad.

The amount of code that FrontPage produces is NOT "quite horrible" if you use the software correctly, and in the new version (out in a couple of weeks or so) there's a 'code cleanup' facility that optimises the code before it goes to the server. It works very well.

My advice is not to develop tunnel vision at such an early age - try as many WYSIWYG applications as you can lay your hands on - particularly DreamWeaver MX, FrontPage 2003 and NetObjects Fusion. A good web designer keeps an open mid, and welcomes software that frees up time to think more about the really important aspects of site design - look, useability, and content.

Gaz 25 17:42 15 Sep 2003

I agree with FE, software if used correctly, can create VERY impressive results.

Look at click here it mas made using Namo.

wsces 18:18 15 Sep 2003

In response to the SUFC site - I scripted the ASP behind the Fixtures & Results system, the Links system and the email updates system, these were all hand done from scratch.

I am gradually recoding most of the site, which was based around a ready-built CMS, which didn't fit with the sites needs. The site was originally put up by Oliver Warburton (spaldingbiz.com) who didn't have time to custom code the site, and used a generic CMS.

The site was a challenge because the day-to-day moderators have no knowledge of HTML and do not have the time/resources to learn HTML, therefore the site has to be 100% updateable by the SUFC staff, the admin is based around a WYSIWYG editor, which was designed especially for the site.

Which brings me nicely on to the WYSIWYG debate...

I agree that editors are getting a lot better in their age, but do you <i>really</I> want Billy Gates and his MICRO$OFT chums stamping their mark on your page, or do you want it to be much more personal?

What I said about Notepad was probably slightly exagerated, although Notepad is what I started out with, I now use 1st Page 2000 for my day to day activities. It's a very powerful (free) editor which is like a younger brother to Dreamweaver.

I'm all for something like Dreamweaver which encourages hardcore coding, it the Drag & Drop editors which have me reaching for the bucket.

Gaz 25, I advise you to have a look at your source code, and the amount of <.span> tags, think how much that is slowing down downloads when the same could be achived with tables?

Regards.

karlis2k3 19:37 15 Sep 2003

no way are you 12!!

wsces 19:40 15 Sep 2003

Yep, started a few years back, never stopped.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?