site download

MERKY 20:57 28 Dec 2004

I wish to change my site & have down loaded it to a new folder, but when i uploaded my new site all i get is error 404 site not found.How can i know all of my old site was removed? I am using SMART FTP.

barryoneoff.co.uk 23:12 28 Dec 2004

or download? Downloading wont erase it! I just copies it to your hard drive.

Forum Editor 09:34 29 Dec 2004

Did you simply transfer all the files into the root of your webspace? If you did you have almost certainly added all the new files to the previous site files, and now there are two files called index.htm - which is probably why you're getting the 404 error.

Do this:

1. Connect to the server via FTP and create a new directory (folder) called 'holding'.

2. Now move all the .html files from the root into 'holding'.

3. Now transfer your new site files into the root, and all should be well. Once you're happy that everything is working OK you can FTP back into the server and delete 'holding' and everything that's in it.

Taran 09:40 29 Dec 2004

Open up SmartFTP and log into your site.

If you can still see your files/folder on the web server, they are still there, although the 404 error suggests that you may have moved them rather than just copied them to your PC.

Taran 09:50 29 Dec 2004

Try Forum Editors suggestion.

I didn't get past the title of your thread and the first part of the first line.

Always read the question...

;o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?