Site Banner Query

babybell 12:45 25 Sep 2008

I have a website that is built in Dreamweaver. I'm using tables for the layout and so that it fits any screen, I have set the width in % so that it expands and contracts to whatever size screen or resolution the viewer is using.

I am just about to design a banner to go along the top which will have our logo on and a few pictures etc etc, but I was wondering what would happen once it is placed on the site.

For example if I design the banner to have a certain height and width and then fit it to how my screen appears in Dreamweaver, what will happen once it is uploaded and someone with a wider monitor views the site, will the banner stretch to fit their screen as well or because it is a set size will it hover in the middle with gaps either side?

gerri-atrick 13:35 25 Sep 2008

The table cell the banner is in will shrink to the size of the banner when the page is reduced if you position it in the centre and have a background colour or image that blends in you wont notice the gaps when the page is large......or just fix the width of the column and have % for the left + right columns.

aram 13:35 25 Sep 2008

Images do not stretch with the table, they will either sit on the right, middle or left of the page depending on how it is aligned in its cell. Depending on what the banner looks like you may be able to left align it then have a horizontally repeating cell background which will make it look like the banner is expanding with the page.

Ideally tables should not be used for site layout, especially not fluid sites like this, much better to use CSS, although you might need to do a bit of reading if you havn't not used it before.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?