Site Advisor giving rise to v. high CPU use in IE.

Batch 15:06 27 Nov 2007

I've discovered that McAfee Site Advisor (latest version) can have a marked effect on the CPU used by Internet Explorer.

I'd been accessing click here (a bed and breakfast site) and noticed that loading the home page was killing my PC. When loading the home page of the site, iexplore.exe ran at 99% - 100% CPU for over 55 seconds (my CPU is a bit old - an Athlon 1100, but that's no excuse).

I'd had similar probs (but not quite as extreme) with other sites and decided it was time to take action. So I restored a system image from July to see if the problem existed back then (it didn't). I then started to apply the various changes that I'd made since then and checked the CPU usage on loading the babs homepage after each step.

The culprit? McAfee Site Advisor v.2.5.0.6172. The system image, as restored, had been running v.2.4.0.6066.

As soon as I uninstalled Site Advisor the problem went away.

Reinstalling Site Advisor v.2.5.0.6172 and the problem immediately returned.

The problem doesn't (obviously) manifest itself with all web sites (it may be that something about the specific web sites aggravates Site Advisor) and if you've got a v. powerful CPU you may not notice it (so much).

I'm sticking with the old version of Site Advisor for now unless anyone has some more info. on the underlying cause.

birdface 15:31 27 Nov 2007

Hmm I will need to check mine I have the 2.5.0.6172 version and have been having problems with slow page loading and server not found.But I have not noticed anything in Taskmanager,But will keep a good check on it from now on.Are you in Australia or just thinking of going.

Batch 15:39 27 Nov 2007

Not in Oz (unfortunately). Currently in dank and miserable Sutton (SW London). But looking to go to Oz early next year.

birdface 15:46 27 Nov 2007

Hi.Batch .I have disabled Site advisor in add-ons so will see how it runs without it.I had a chance to go to Oz 50 years ago.Considering the way the UK is turning out.I wish I had gone.Best of luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?