Site Accessability: Javascript or No?

SimpleSimon1 12:13 02 Feb 2007

Guys, I’m building my first web site (for my wife’s hypnotherapy practice) and the question of Javascript has come up. Basically, for a simple web site, should I be using it?

I’m thinking of doing main nav via some simple rollovers which, obviously, require Javascript. However, what will happen if a non script-enabled browser comes to the page? Presumably, they wouldn’t be able to navigate – does this mean that I should also provide simple HTML links in addition to ‘rollover navigation’?

Moreover, from what I’ve read, use of Javascript can trip-up various supplementary technologies such as screen readers (for the visually handicapped) etc

That being the case, should I forget about using Javascript and concentrate on providing a decent user experience via HTML and CSS?

Thanks

PurplePenny 14:01 03 Feb 2007

If you use JavaSCript you do indeed need to supply an alternative for non-javascript enabled browsers. Do it via the noscript tag: If they have JavaScript the scripted links appear, if they don't then a menu using the UL tag appears (nested if necessary).

But if all you want are simple rollovers you don't need JavaScript: you can do it with HTML and CSS.

Examples (both a bit old but you'll get the idea):
click here
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?