sis661gx graphics card

boo_hiss_boo 16:23 31 Dec 2006

Can anone ell me anything about the above graphics card which is apparantly integrated into the motherboard within this laptop. I have been told I will not be able to upgrade the graphics card in a laptop anyway but can the motherboard be replaced, and if so would it need to be with one that also had an integrated graphics card. Also can anyone tell me why graphics cards cannot be upgraded in laptops? and is it the same for all of the other cards and chipset things in laptops?

Thanks
Boo

citadel 16:43 31 Dec 2006

some graphics cards in laptops can be upgraded, these are usually expensive one's made by alienware etc.

Totally-braindead 16:57 31 Dec 2006

Laptop graphics cards in general cannot be upgraded due to the size of the laptop. If you look at a desktop graphics card you will see it is rather large and therefore is impossible to fit into a laptop sized case. Therefore the laptop graphics cards are built into the motherboard.
Theres no real point buying and installing a new board etc, you would be as well buying a new laptop.

Totally-braindead 17:00 31 Dec 2006

In general the things you can upgrade in a laptop are a larger hard drive and adding more memory and thats it.
You obviously don't know what a chipset is. Chipsets in any computer laptop or desktop cannot be changed it is built in to the motherboard.

boo_hiss_boo 17:16 31 Dec 2006

Thanks guys for the replies, sorry totally-braindead, you are quite correct, i don't know too much about the inside workings of the computer, which i spose is why i come on here to ask guys that do have the knowledge for help and advice, which you all give quite freely and it is much appreciated.

have a happy new year everybody

Boo

Totally-braindead 17:20 31 Dec 2006

Sorry but theres many people who come on this site who aren't very happy when they discover their laptop won't run a game and that theres nothing they can do about it. I really think the shops should say something when they sell them as a sort of warning but I suppose they would be afraid to lose a sale.
If you want to play games and by this I mean the newest ones buy a PC desktop not a laptop. At least a decent desktop can be upgraded.

boo_hiss_boo 17:53 31 Dec 2006

totally-braindead, i understand what you are saying, i am actually asking this for a young family member who owns the laptop, although my daughter has one too and i agree that it would make people think a little more if they realised the problems buying a laptop as opposed to a desk top would have.

Again, Happy New Year to All

Boo

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?