Sinister laugh - virus or not.

alternator 18:15 12 Mar 2004

Don't know if anyone has come across this on their computer. Somehow something has got onto my computer that generates a laugh sound and a slamming door sound. This happens at random times. I have up to date anti-virus and have swept for adware and spyware, I am at a loss to know where it came from, or what it is. It doesn't appear to do any harm.
For info my anti-virus is Trend Internet Security and is upto date, and sweeps regularly

Indigo 1 18:19 12 Mar 2004

Sounds more like a ghost to me ;)

Maybe you should call the Excorcist ;) ;)

Indigo 1 18:21 12 Mar 2004

Seriously though, there are some virus' that can jumpt to web pages when scanning then jump back afterwards. Disconnect from web before scanning.

mole44 18:22 12 Mar 2004

go into search and look at any wav files or even look to see if sounds have been assigned to any actions you take,failing that put a clove of garlic on top of your pc,only kidding about the garlic.

alternator 18:28 12 Mar 2004

Yes I normally scan when I am not doing anything else, as far as wav files there are too many to go through. Thanks for the ideas tho'

powerless 18:34 12 Mar 2004

Whhat apps do you have running?

Close em all down!!

And open one up at a time, your bound to find which one is the cause.

roy 18:42 12 Mar 2004

Does this happen when you are using Microsoft Messenger? If you use it at all.
There is a weird laugh in that program that a contact can activate on your pc.

Gave me quite a shock the first time my Grandson sent it to me.

romanab 20:36 12 Mar 2004

Are you on AOL?

alternator 21:40 12 Mar 2004

Yes I am on AOL (I wish I wasn't)
Don't use MS Messenger
As far as Apps running there doesn't have to be any running.
It only happens maybe 3-4 times in an evening between for example 6-11. It might happen within a couple of minutes and then not for an hour or so.

griffon 56 23:52 12 Mar 2004

Get hold of a system cleaning app like Evidence Eliminator (EE) or Windows Clean (don't know whether that is right title or not), there are a number of them out there. I use EE and it gets rid of everything temporary, designated files and folders and all IE histories and so on. I believe it's a free download from EE's site, I got it from a cover disc. I don't know whether it's my imagination or what, but since I have been using it over a year or so the machine seems to defrag quicker and I don't get much unwanted interference from Spam and suchlike, perhaps because there is no history on my machine whenever I access the net. Anyway, if your noise is a temporary file or cookie, EE will get rid of it, it's worth a try, and it's free.

It's also worth looking at what apps start with the machine. Quite a while back I couldn't get rid of a couple of naughty icons, until I found that they were in the start-up list of msconfig in 98SE. I used EE to get rid of them and my desktop became maiden aunt viewable again. Good luck.

The Spires 00:07 13 Mar 2004

You could try click here The Cleaner, there is a 30 day evaluation period. Or the free version of A Squared which is a Trojan/Malware scanner, you have to register to obtain an unlock key but it is free & only takes a few mins.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?