Single Port SAR703 ADSL Router - 2 computers

martytoon 13:07 28 Feb 2006

What would be the best way to share a broadband internet connection between 2 computers.

Have just bought new desktop, but the old one is still good for internet and email. It's running Win98SE but due to age would not be possible to upgrade to XP.

My Solwise ADSL router is about 4 years old and only has 1 ethernet port. Could I buy a "switch" to manage the internet traffic from the 2 computers into the existing router? Would it be better to bite the bullet and buy a new multi port router?

I'm not too fused about wireless connection. The PCs will be located in adjacent rooms so I'm happy to run a length of cable.

Any advice/guidance will be appreciated.

keewaa 17:50 28 Feb 2006

No you can't just buy a switch as you usually only have one IP address from your ISP. Wireless routers are only a few pounds more than their non wireless equivalents and you still have 4 wired ports with them. I'd recommend Netgear DG834G or Belkin F5D7632UK

Rioja 01:17 01 Mar 2006

I can only assume keewaa has mis-read your post as a cheap network switch attached to the LAN side of your router is exactly what you need. After all, a "multi port router" is simply a router with built-in network switch.
Regards,
Rioja

retep888 02:23 01 Mar 2006

If you're happy with your router,just buy a cheap switch and link it up with the router using a straight patch cable into any one of the LAN ports,then plug your two pcs into the switch again using straight patch cable.

Your Win98 pc shouldn't have any problem since it was configured with the router already and the new xp pc should be recognised automatically.

Don't worry about the IP addresses, the router should take care of it.

keewaa 10:02 01 Mar 2006

Sorry I misread "router" as "modem" ... off to the opticians !

martytoon 15:32 01 Mar 2006

for the responses guys. Looks like for about £15 I can pick up the switch and cabling to get uo and running.
Cheers,
Martin.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires