Single or Dual Channel RAM

Mike D 07:55 07 Nov 2007

I am looking at replacement PCs at work and the 2 front-runners have similar specs excepting the configuration of the DDR2 800 RAM, one being single channel t'other being dual channel. In words of one syllable can someone explain what practical advantage 2Mb of dual channel RAM would have over a similar amount configured as single channel?

Mike

Mike D 14:37 07 Nov 2007

No offers?

Mike D 15:14 14 Nov 2007

Sorted it myself - dual channel offers 128bit memory interface as opposed to 64bit, so in theory should be slightly faster (no, honestly, that's what the man said!).
Mike

DieSse 15:35 14 Nov 2007

Dual channel RAM - which must be fitted as matching pairs of modules, into the correct sockets - means that RAM accesses can be interleaved between the two modules. This cannot make it twice as fast - but in practice about 1.5 times as fast as single channel.

It doesn't make it 128bit memory - it means it can overlap memory accesses between the two modules - not the same thing at all.

Karakorum 16:19 14 Nov 2007

I think I saw a reference somewhere to there being some kind of security concern specific to dual channel as well - though I can't recall the details.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?