sims/sims2 will not work

tf07 19:33 10 Jan 2007

I have the sims and if i install any expansion pack after on holiday, it will crash after the splash screen, i went on their website and they only told me simple things i had already checked like hardware acceleration, drivers etc. and it still doesn't work.

The sims 2 has really bad graphical corruption and freezes everytime it tries to load a new object.

Totally-braindead 20:53 10 Jan 2007

Does your computer have onboard graphics or does it have a graphics card, if so what is it?

alexgray104 21:05 10 Jan 2007

About 4 or 5 years ago when the original Sims first came out I experienced similar problems to this, and it turned out to be the graphics (I only had onboard).

Have a look on the back of your PC and if the monitor plug is around the keyboard/mouse area then its onboard, if its near the bottom of the case then it would be a seperate card. (rough guide).

Then about a year and a half ago when the Sims 2 came out again I experienced display problems. I later bought a Nvidia FX 5900 Ultra and that seems to have rectified the problem, so I think it is the Graphics on your PC not being very good. The Nvidia 5-Series FX are really cheap now though, about £30 on eBuyer I think, so it may be worthwhile to upgrade.

tf07 21:10 11 Jan 2007

I have a Nvidie Geforce 5200 and the game worked before.

Totally-braindead 21:25 11 Jan 2007

Does it happen with other games or is it only with the Sims? Did you actually try reloading the drivers in case they were corrupted?

If it only happens with the Sims and other games are ok then there is a possability that something ir wrong with the card. Is there another PC in the house you can try the card on?

Totally-braindead 21:26 11 Jan 2007

Assumming you have XP goto START then RUN and type DXDIAG and see if that reports any problems.

ACOLYTE 02:28 12 Jan 2007

Have you checked for an update via the context menu?

tf07 14:08 14 Jan 2007

DXdiag has no problems. the pc has been formatted and reformatted twice since the problem started. The drivers have been updated 4 times since it started and the same discs work fine on my friend's computer with the exact same specs exept less Ram and only 1 hard drive.

tf07 14:10 14 Jan 2007

And it is only sims and sims 2 that are affected. I had the same problem with simcity 4 but i installed the expansion pack and it worked afterwards

Totally-braindead 14:55 14 Jan 2007

Sorry if you've already tried this but have you checked to see if there are any patches?

tf07 18:41 18 Jan 2007

Yes. I already said i went through all the simple things with ea tech support

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone