Simply pondering - how do Programs Work?

jack 09:31 20 Dec 2008

I am still faffing around with FireFox
see click here
For me the version that works with all the bells and whistles is 2.xx.x
From there on 3.xx up it works but lacking in certain attributes .
For example Book marks- the Book Marking element simply does not work - will not record 'New' marks and cannot find the old marks- Though they are still in the machine- because when V.2 is reloaded - there they all are.

In V3. the top Bar is deficient in certain elements - for example the forward back arrows
are absent- yet- revert and there they all are.

This missive is being compiled in Explorer - long time since I have used it.
So enlightenment some one
Is a 'program' [not only FF but any program] a complete entity or is it a bundle of 'patches' to that simple reorganizes what XP[for example] has already in its library?

Fingees 12:11 20 Dec 2008

I use Firefox 3.0.5

My arrows are there, and my bookmarks.

Never had any problem with any of the versions.

tullie 12:14 20 Dec 2008

Nor me

brundle 12:20 20 Dec 2008

Points to a profile problem - have you done the clean install linked to in the other post?

Technotiger 12:24 20 Dec 2008

I think it starts as a complete program, and then over time, is given added tweaks and additions, which do not appear to me to always mean an improvement!

I have just allowed FF to update itself to 3.0.5

Now I can't find my Bookmarks, nor how to delete History!

Sea Urchin 13:03 20 Dec 2008

Any help?

click here

Arnie 13:16 20 Dec 2008

Firefox Version 3.0.5

CTRL+Shift +H

This will show all your History.
Highlight a line, now Ctrl+A. This will highlight all the lines.
Now on your keyboard press Delete.

All your History will clear.

Arnie.

Arnie 13:34 20 Dec 2008

Also remember by updating Firefox you are also updating any security issues that may have been addressed.

I have never had any problems after updating Firefox, but then I run my computer very lean.

System Restore is disabled along with many unused Services in Computer Management.

No games, no sharing and all my software, music, and photos are backed up on two CDs.

I have just reviewed my three Acronis backups and none exceed 5Gb.

Arnie.

Arnie 13:36 20 Dec 2008

Also remember by updating Firefox you are also updating any security issues that may have been addressed.

I have never had any problems after updating Firefox, but then I run my computer very lean.

System Restore is disabled along with many unused Services in Computer Management.

No games, no sharing and all my software, music, and photos are backed up on two CDs.

I have just reviewed my three Acronis backups and none exceed 5Gb.

Arnie.

Arnie 13:37 20 Dec 2008

info.

Belatucadrus 13:47 20 Dec 2008

Depends a lot on the program, some are designed in a modular form, so that specific components of the program perform functions within the remit of the entire package. These can be tweaked or rewritten without hopefully banjaxing the entire shebang.
Others are less forgiving, one syntax error and the whole thing goes belly up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

14 best picture books for children

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017