Simple wireless? not for me it isnt. help

User-324448 14:05 06 Jul 2006

Some days ago I posted a plea for help from you good people. I bought a Netgear wireless router, together with a usb dongle thingy and an extra ethernet cable, I connect router up and cables to two desk tops to share broadband and that works fine BUT I plugged in the dongle thingy to the laptop(whats its proper name?)and used the XP wizard to give us emails which can be sent and recieved, the WWW cannot be used, the message says error 404, I know some of you have told me what the problem may be ie firewall permisions but I have no idea what to do next, knowing what it is and actually doing it is the problem I have. sorry to go on but both my 82 year old pal for whom Im doing it and myself are now getting frustrated.all 3 systems are on XP

mgmcc 16:10 06 Jul 2006

<<< I plugged in the dongle thingy to the laptop(whats its proper name?) >>>

It is a "USB 2.0 Wireless Network Adapter", but they're frequently just called "dongles" ;)

You need to make sure the Netgear Router has its wireless capability switched on and that it is set to broadcast its SSID (the wireless network name).

If the USB adapter has been properly installed in the laptop as "new hardware", you need to run its software (or Windows' own wireless networking software) to scan for "Available Wireless Networks", find and highlight the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and select the option to "Connect" to it. Once "Connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have network and internet access.

There is a difference between the Wireless Network Adapter and Router communicating with a good signal and "Connecting" (as in "logging in") to your Wireless network. Once you have that working, you need to secure your wireless network by enabling WEP or, preferably, WPA encryption. This is set up in the router's security settings and then you need to enter the correct encryption key into the Wireless Adapter in order to connect to the router.

User-324448 17:14 06 Jul 2006

MGMCC Thanks for taking the time to help an old brain out I did install the dongle software and it is getting a very good signal
Your last paragraph im finding hard to understand. but will study it more closely.

The Netgear box told me its a beginners pack and easy to set up. I wish.

fitshase 17:26 06 Jul 2006

prof.

You mention e-mails that are sent and received. Does this mean that you can send and receive e-mails on the wireless machine?

If so, you have a connection to the internet and the problem may lie elsewhere.

Regards

Fitshase

User-324448 17:52 06 Jul 2006

Yes I can send and recieve emails this is what was confusing me I have since been told that emails are on a different programme, I understand that Outlook Express =emails Internet Explorer = Web (I should stick to fixing old motorbike I think.)

fitshase 23:01 06 Jul 2006

If you can receive e-mails then there is a connection going to the internet.

Have you tried different websites?

Alternatively, check the following:-

Go to the control panel in Windows

Click on Network and Internet Connections and then Internet Options (or if a different view - just click on internet options).

Click on the connections tab at the top.

Click on LAN settings and clear all of the boxes.

Click on OK

Now, make sure that "Never dial a connection" is selected on the next screen.

Click on Apply then OK.

See if that works. If not, post back.

Regards

Fitshase

p.s, where in the country are you located - there may be a knowledgable member local to you willing to help out.

mgmcc 07:01 07 Jul 2006

When you get the "Error 404" message, is this a local error message in your computer or is it being displayed in the web browser as the response from the website?

If the message is generated by the website itself, the problem is either at their end or you entered an incorrect or invalid address (URL).

User-324448 10:42 07 Jul 2006

Fitshase, Very many thanks for you advice on our long drawn out problem I have just been down to Griffs home and tried the LAN settings part of you letter, to our great joy Google came up I closed the laptop down and the tried it again and everything is working as we had hoped for. a simple cure for a long drawn out problem.
We are in Rhayader Mid Wales, drop in for a cuppa if you are in the area but email first for our address, Prof and Griff.

fitshase 13:10 07 Jul 2006

Glad to see all is working.

Unfortunately I am across in Essex so I think it is a bit far for a cuppa! Thanks anyway.

Regards

Fitshase

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?