Simple sharing of ADSL broadband

JaßîsFaß ˜ 09:29 05 Mar 2006

Hopefully a straightforward question.

We have two PC's (with XP) and want to be able to both share the same broadband connection (without having to have one of the PC's on for the other to connect).

Can anyone confirm which would be the simplest was to share? Is it a wired router? (We don't need to go wireless)

Any recommendations?

lozparry 10:56 05 Mar 2006

Yes, you will need a adsl modem router, this is better that getting a seperate router, for an existing modem (easier to configure). I would go for a wireless modem router though as price wise not that much difference. Wireless can be disabled but could be useful in the future!

keewaa 11:16 05 Mar 2006

Assuming when you say adsl you mean adsl and not NTL or telewest cable.

Yes definitely get a built in adsl modem in the router, yes go for wireless as it has everything a wired version has, but also has wireless in case you need it in the future at only £15 more.

Netgear DG834G or Belkin F5D7632UK are good buys. You get a 2m ethernet and can buy up to 30m (£10) for other PC or up to 100m custom.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 11:17 05 Mar 2006

Anyone have experience of setting up modem router using Wanadoo broadband? I've configured / set up sharing via router before on AOL but not sure about trying it / how to for Wanadoo.

keewaa 11:28 05 Mar 2006

lol, if you've managed on AOL, I think you'll find wanadoo very easy.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 11:37 05 Mar 2006

Cheers everyone

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?