Simple, reliable broadband

beauchampboiler 18:47 03 Dec 2010

I am looking for a good value basic ADSL standalone broadband package. Speed isn't an issue as the maximum I can get in my area is 2.5Mb/s although a high/'unlimited' download limit is more important. I have already looked at PlusNet and Tesco but they both have unfavourable reviews. I would be happy to pay around £10/mth.

Any help would be much appreciated so thanks in advance.

Pine Man 18:56 03 Dec 2010

You don't give your location but if they are in your area have a look at O2. Good price, good service and free uk helpline.

GaT7 18:58 03 Dec 2010

Can you get O2 broadband (click here) in your area? click here to check. I've been with them for almost 3 years & the service is exceptional.

If you go via a cashback site, like Topcashback click here / Quidco click here, you can get £50 back to make it even better overall - that's an average of £4 lower a month. More info about the cashback in this thread click here. G

MIKE. 19:03 03 Dec 2010

I have O2 as my ISP and get about 11 Mb. Where as when I was with BT Total Broadband I was lucky if I got 3Mb. Because I have an O2 Mobile phone contract so I pay £10 a month with virtually unlimited download. The outages I have had are
almost zero. Have a look at their site.

morddwyd 20:26 03 Dec 2010

Before you go to O2

click here

They may be better than some, but they are not totally without fault.

I have had various ISPs since 1996 (including Orange and Wanadoo) but O2's customer service is by far the worst I have ever had to use.

If only their broadband service was even one third as good as their mobile service!

rdave13 20:35 03 Dec 2010

Just under £20, I know it's double your original price limit, but that's not practical for just a standalone BB. I recommend them, ADSL24;
click here

exdragon 09:11 04 Dec 2010

Another aupporter for o2. They're easy to contact, their customer support is, as has been mentioned, exceptional and I only remember a couple of short outages in a couple of years. If you have an o2 mobile, you get a discount too. I've also got their Homephone package.

beauchampboiler 09:46 04 Dec 2010

Thanks a lot for all your help and it's nice to see glowing praise for one ISP, that makes things much simpler.

beauchampboiler 13:43 04 Dec 2010

Unfortunately I can only get 02's basic package in my area (I live in Ipswich) which isn't right for my needs. Any other suggestions?

john bunyan 13:54 04 Dec 2010

If you want the "Which" best supplier, and they only insist on a one month rolling contract (I hate signing up for a long time) then Zen is good and has a UK tech support. May be a little expensive.

john bunyan 13:55 04 Dec 2010

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone