Simple question re wireless products

Maughan 17:33 07 Dec 2003

I have what (I hope) is a simple question.

I have a broadband connection to my PC (via a BT USB modem). Problem is, my PC is upstairs and the telephone socket is downstairs. For over a year, I have had a telephone extension cable snaked out of the living room, up the stairs, along the hall and into the office. Classy.

Although I may well have another PC and/or laptop soon, I am not so interested in networking as in a simple wireless connection from downstairs to upstairs BUT I am very confused by the products that are available!

Am I right in thinking that I need:

1. Wireless router
2. Ethernet modem
3. PCI or USB PC card/receiver?

This seems like about £200-worth of equipment (all of which will undoubtedly be 1/3 the price in 6 months' time). And do I have to discard my existing USB modem?

Is it better to get 1 and 2 in an all-in-one unit (like D-Link and Netgear offer)?

Which are the best brands/makes?

Any particular models to recommend?

Thank you!

Maughan

byfordr 18:00 07 Dec 2003

I have a Netgear 824m (combined wireless access point, router and modem) I would recommend Netgear, as they are a very reasonable price and provide excellent support. Setting up is very quick as well. I know one of my friends uses the same product. He has his plumbed into a phoneline upstairs while his computer is connected in the office downstairs. He also is able to plug his laptop in as required.

Try click here for a few reviews of products. I paid £120 including a wireless access point for mine. Have a look at the different wireless standards. Walls affect the performance (Although from personal experience B seems more than adequate to get through walls without dropping speed) There is the WGT624, with is G standard (also compatible with B) loaded with security features, with hi potential speeds. Its about £100, plus access cards (depends which ones you choose to the cost)

I went for the all in one option as it makes a nice compact option without too many wires all over the place.

go to your local DIY shop and buy a telephone extension kit for around £10 it is simple to fit and has full instructions and will also save you lots, failing that get BT to install an extra socket for around £70 stiil cheaper that wireless?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?