Simple question.

charlieyoyoboy 21:28 07 Mar 2007

Do i need dual core?
I want a new laptop for web/photos/gaming but only ever one at once,all the hype surrounding dual core is full of praise for running multiple application but i only ever run 1 at once,do i really need dual core a would i be better with a larger single processor?

Many thanks for any advice.

Ashrich 21:36 07 Mar 2007

There may not be too many programs around at the moment to take advantage of dual core but given time and the fact that laptops aren't too easily upgraded it's better to get the latest and best your budget allows , dual core will be better utilised eventually , and make sure you get plenty of memory .

Ashley

charlieyoyoboy 21:45 07 Mar 2007

Thats part of my thinking,do you believe dual core to be more future proof? I presume you mean software would be written with different parts running on the 2 different processors at the same time to speed things up? Also in in idiot speak for me does a dual core with a 1.6 processor have 2 1.6s or two 0.8s or something completely different as seems to be the norm lately?

charlieyoyoboy 21:45 07 Mar 2007

Thats part of my thinking,do you believe dual core to be more future proof? I presume you mean software would be written with different parts running on the 2 different processors at the same time to speed things up? Also in in idiot speak for me does a dual core with a 1.6 processor have 2 1.6s or two 0.8s or something completely different as seems to be the norm lately?

VoG II 21:49 07 Mar 2007

As far as I know a dual-core processor won't 'split' a task between the two cores. So if you are running Word and Excel at the same time they might be assigned to different 'sides' of the CPU. But if you are only using one application it won't be split. However, the many background processes that are running may well be split.

charlieyoyoboy 21:58 07 Mar 2007

Thanks VoG but that still leaves me confused as to whether or not i need a dual core for my purposes.

skidzy 22:02 07 Mar 2007

This may enlighten you a bit click here

No you dont need dual core for your purpose,but looking into the future,and if you can afford it...go for it.

charlieyoyoboy 22:10 07 Mar 2007

Thanks skidzy sounds like dual core it is,any suggestions for a sub £600 dual core laptop for my daughter?

VoG II 22:13 07 Mar 2007

I have this and can recommend it click here

skidzy 22:13 07 Mar 2007

The only thing i could say,is the Dell inspiron 6400 i currently have.But i dont think this will be a lot of good for the games,especially if high end games.

You need a good graphics card and certainly a good power supply and cooling.

woodchip 22:29 07 Mar 2007

AS Vog it can mean that Games work slower as it will only use half off what it's got. Only one core.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone