Simple crossover but half a problem

enonod 15:48 18 Jul 2007

I have two laptops, one connected to broadband via wireless called INT. The other has two partitions both have Windows XP Pro sp2. (One used to be home and I had this network problem so did upgrade).
One is called DONALD the Other DONALD-DEV.
I want each partition, when active, to be networked to INT but no internet access to either DONALD...
I have set up a working crossover network between INT and DONALD-DEV. I can share files and printer.

To get it going I had to set up Norton Firewall to accept DONALD-DEV (by Name). I had to turn off Windows firewall on DONALD-DEV.

When partition DONALD is on instead I cannot get it to work unless I disable Norton Firewall. I tried to have it recognise DONALD by name and it said...
The domain name is not being resolved by DNS, add anyway.
If I add it, it doesn't work. I did the same with DONALD-DEV and it did not give this message, just added it OK.

Both partion's Local connection properties are identical and DHCP is enabled.

I tried by allocating IPs and pinged both ways OK, but could not share printer so opted for this method as a preference.
Please advise me.

PalaeoBill 15:38 19 Jul 2007

You shouldn't have to identify a computer by name in Norton Firewall. This may be at the heart of the problem (same MAC and potentially same IP being used by two different computer names).
I would remove the named entry in 'specify computers' and put in an IP address or range instead.

Also, you mentioned using a crossover cable and then said DHCP is enabled! So what is issuing an IP to DONALD & DONALD-DEV and how?

enonod 18:17 19 Jul 2007

Thank you for the response PalaeoBill.
I must confess to ignorance regarding networking.
I presumed DHCP generated IPs. Obviously wrong.
I presumed the name was linked to the IP by lookup. Obviously wrong.
But I am here to learn!
I tried setting up IP addresses in the user range and managed to ping both ways, but could not find out how to share files and the printer once I had done it. Shared folders didn't seem to work.
The IPs in use have been allocated by the system?? and are in the range mentioned previously.
I would be grateful if you could advise me a little more specifically.

enonod 19:09 19 Jul 2007

Further info.
I have set user IPs...
Internet computer (common) 192.168.0.10
The one that always worked 192.168.0.11
The one that never works 192.168.0.12
I have set Norton firewall to accept the range inc of 12.
WINS is set to Netbios over TCP/IP
LMHosts Lookup seems to make no difference but is now off.
Pinging from 12 to 10 times out, 10 to 12 is OK.

However if I turn Norton off on 10 I can ping both ways.
Either way I cannot view workgroup computers nor see shared folders.
I haven't been able to change partitions to try 11 due to a problem.
I hope this helps you to help me.

PalaeoBill 22:52 19 Jul 2007

Hi enonod

This is my favourite page for trouble shooting file sharing & printing on a home network.
click here
It explains things much better than I can and it should help you understand. (I realy should save it somewhere just incase it ever gets removed. Ho Hum).

I hope this helps also.
Normally, in a home network, there would be a number of PCs/laptops connected to a router and the router would be connected to the outside world via an internal or external ADLS or cable modem. The router would have an ISP issued IP address (one that the outside world can see) and an internal IP address like 192.168.0.1 and these are typically separated by a firewall in the router.
The router would be configured as a DHCP server and so it would issue IP address (with the same first three octets and a different unique last octet i.e. 192.168.0.XX) to any PCs/Laptops connected to it either by wire or wireless.
The wired PC/Laptops would be connected to the router via a straight wired cable.

Now you don't need to use a router to have a network. If you just want to connect two computers together you can use a crossover cable (which I believe you have used) the wires in the cable are not straight through they cross over so tx becomes rx etc. and the cable connects the ethernet ports of the two PC's. That gives you one network. There is no DHCP server here so you need to issue a fixed IP address to each computer in the ethernet network card settings TCP/IP configuration. They can be anything you want so long as the first three octets of the addresses match and the last octet is different.
Take a breath:
You also have a wireless card in one of your PC's which is technically on a different network. This is connecting one of your computers to a wireless router/access point and giving you internet access.

PalaeoBill 23:09 19 Jul 2007

(Continued)
So if i'm reading this correctly your laptop (INT) should be connected to two different networks.
1. The 192.168.0.XX network giving it Internet access over its wireless adaptor
and
2. The XX.XX.XX.XX network connecting it to the DONALD/DONALD-DEV PC by the cross over cable. You can use any 1st three octets you like e.g. 192.168.1.01 for the laptop and 192.168.1.02 for the PC.
You can give DONALD & DONALD-DEV different IPs if you want but since they can't both be active I wouldn't bother.

This would mean neither DONALD or DONALD-DEV could have internet access, just printing and file sharing.

There are ways around this, you can have bridging software to connect the two networks and/or you can configure XP to share the laptops internet connection.

I don't know what happens if you issue the DONALD/DONALD-DEV PC an IP address that belongs to the laptop INT network (which is what you have done). You have reached the limit of my P2P skills. I just know that it is not right. Perhaps someone else can jump in here.

PalaeoBill 07:52 20 Jul 2007

I read your earlier post and it just sank in.
You are certainly not ignorant of networking, you have more knowledge than most.
You presumed correctly, a DHCP server does issue IP's (but only to devices on it's network and you have two networks).
You are also correct about a link between IP and compuer name in lookup. HOSTS and LMHOSTS do perform this task but they are secondary to DNS & WINS, (they get used when other methods of domain name resolution fails), and are probably being ignored.

I hope you get to the bottom of this.
Cheers Bill

enonod 10:11 20 Jul 2007

Thank you PalaeoBill for the long reply and of course the time it must have taken.
For the benefit of anybody who wishes to take over :)

I have looked at the suggested website and followed instructions. Dealing only with the non working partition, I can ping both ways, the only difference is that the TTL is 128 one way and 64 the other???

The problem appears to be with NetBios (suggested on website above) because I cannot see the computers on the network. The main INT computer shows itself but the other does not show anything.
The same applies to shared folders etc.

The services are on and automatic.
All settings on both computers are the same.
Guest account on both have no password and appear to be on.
Any help greatly appreciated

enonod 10:24 20 Jul 2007

I have just noticed on the DONALD (not working) laptop that in WINS I have NetBios over TCP/IP enabled but using IPCONFIG/ALL it says it is disabled.
This may well be contributory, but I cannot see how to change it.

PalaeoBill 12:13 20 Jul 2007

Well you have me interested but confused. This has to be name resolution.
If you run IPCONFIG/ALL on INT does it show two different IP addresses. One for wireless and one for wired?

PalaeoBill 12:15 20 Jul 2007

Can you post the output from IPCONFIG/ALL for
INT
DONALD
&
DONALD-DEV

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?