Simple backup question

richardsonc 16:49 10 Mar 2008

There have been various posts on this topic, but I have a very simple question/situation that I would like to address:

I have two internal hard drives (120GB and 250 GB) on my desktop PC. I recently bought a 500 GB hard drive to use only for the purpose of backing up my two internal drives. I would like a direct copy of each drive on my external drive.

As this seems like a relatively simple task, I am looking for a piece of *free* software that will do the job. Until now however, I can find software that will backup individual files and folders pretty easily, but have great difficulty in making direct copies of hard drives. Could someone advise on the best course of action?

I use Windows XP. Hope someone can help.

MAT ALAN 17:00 10 Mar 2008

Could someone advise on the best course of action?

BUY this.
click here

stylehurst 17:00 10 Mar 2008

Not free I'm afraid, bt your best option is to purchase a copy of Acronis True Image.
You can use it to make an image of each of your hard drives.
You can try before you buy, have a look at the manual, this can be downloaded from the Acronis site, and will give you a good overview of what this superb piece of software can do.

Totally-braindead 17:02 10 Mar 2008

If one of your drives is a Seagate ( or I think a Maxtor) then you can go to the Seagate website and download the Seagate Disk Wizard, its a cut down version of Acronis True Image and is written by them and it should do this as you can clone the drives across.

richardsonc 17:16 10 Mar 2008

Ok, thanks for the responses.
Is there any reason why I couldn't right click and 'copy' my drives, and then 'paste' them into my external backup drive? I appreciate it would take a while and I'd have to remember to do it. Otherwise it looks like I'll have to stop being cheap and shell out some cash. Could someone kindly advise?

MAT ALAN 17:21 10 Mar 2008

Not the best way to go..
with Acronis you have the option (take it) to make recovery discs in case of boot failure, you can make
copies, clones and incrimantal backups so the files that you value will be safe...

Diemmess 17:22 10 Mar 2008

I'd add my endorsement to the benefit of Acronis which you must use if you are going to make a restorable copy, a clone of your C: (Windows OS drive).

You can do the same thing with your secondary HD, but since this will not have an OS on it you can use a freebie like EZBackitup to make copies of all or some of the files from the secondary HD. (These are instantly accessible and don't have to be "Restored")

Graham. 17:26 10 Mar 2008

As I understand it, you need additional software to actually use the back-up. If you tried to boot from it, the computer wouldn't know what to do.

MAT ALAN 17:28 10 Mar 2008

Graham.

Acronis recovery disc's are all you need, no call for additional; software...

Graham. 17:39 10 Mar 2008

I was responding to richardsonc's 17:16 post.

MAT ALAN 17:40 10 Mar 2008

OOOPS!!! OKEY DOKEY...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?