Silver Inkjet Printable DVDs

jakimo 12:18 01 Jan 2006

If you have tried these discs,how do the finished print compare with the white version

€dstowe 12:26 01 Jan 2006

I use them a lot. They give an excellent "quality" look, especially on disks that aren't printed with 100% cover (white disks with only partial cover look a bit "naff", don't they?).

The print has a sort of 3 dimensional appearance, especially on complex pictures.

jakimo 12:38 01 Jan 2006

Do colour photos come out well?,mine look flat on the white surface

€dstowe 13:26 01 Jan 2006

Yes, excellent - that's what I meant really in my last reply.

Check your email.

pj123 13:37 01 Jan 2006

What printer are you using? I use the Epson R200 and find I get a much better printout if I set it as Photo Quality Inkjet instead of CD/DVD.

jakimo 14:19 01 Jan 2006

The Epson R300,which has 2 setting options
cd\dvd and cd\dvd premium surface

jack 14:25 01 Jan 2006

Print meda setting
You could also inkjet transparency- this delivers less ink to a nonabsortant ssurface.
I use it on photogloss and I find on Ilford Galeria a much cleaner image than other medias.[But now we are talking paper of course]
Still worth a try though

pj123 14:30 01 Jan 2006

The R200 has those two settings as well but I still find it better to set it as Photo Quality Inkjet. Give it a try.

malwarehater 14:58 01 Jan 2006

Jakimo.
What brand of printable dvd's are you using?

The problem i've always had with these discs is that they stay sort of sticky to the touch and are prone to smudging

I have used various brands, including cd's, but have not been too successful with either....they tend to stay sticky and also tend to smudge waaay too easily.

Here's my experience with printable DVD's and CD's.

Datawrite CD:
Nice print but stays sticky to the touch.

Datawrite DVD:

Ritek CD:
Nice print, still stays sticky to the touch, but seem a little better than

Prodisc CD( i think these are Datawrite Titanium)

DataSafe DVD:
Like Ritek- Nice print, still stays sticky to the touch, but seem a little better than the other's.

Conclusion.

If you even slightly touch the printable surface of any of the discs they are vulnerable to fingermarks coming out in the print....Especially if the label contains an image like a dvd movie usually does for example.

For some reason they seem to be sticky to the touch before or after printing on !period!...eg- If you take one out of the spindle they are sticky to the touch....and they are still sticky after printing on.

The problem is with the printable surface of these discs....NOT the printers, inks used etc.

If anyone finds a brand that isnt sticky or doesnt smudge....let me know asap because i'm a desperate man now- LOL

€dstowe 15:39 01 Jan 2006

I have used all of those brands and not found them to be at all sticky to the touch. Yes, they tend to stick at the edges in the "cake tin" stack but that is all.

pj123 16:29 01 Jan 2006

I am not sure I know what "sticky" means. I have never had any problems. I print them and then put them in a plastic wallet. I don't have any sticky or smudging problems. Perhaps you are not using Inkjet Printable CD/DVDs?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?