Silly question about Sky+ ?

evansg81 15:48 08 Jun 2008

I'm an existing member of Sky with a standard box. A friend has offered me their Sky+ box as they now have HD. I notice that Sky normally charge £60 for Sky+ installation. Is it not just a case of swapping the boxes over and hey presto we have Sky+??

Thanks for the help!

jimv7 15:51 08 Jun 2008

No, you have to have 2 LNB's installed as well, and have the box registered with sky for your card to work.

Chris the Ancient 16:31 08 Jun 2008

I'm pretty much in the same league as evansg81 in that I am already a sky customer. And I had thought of going for sky+.

I navigated (oh so slowly) round the sky site looking for info. They are keen to sell sky+ boxes - but say nothing about this need for two LNBs and what might be involved once I pay my money.

What makes it more confusing for me is that I am on a (fairly) new estate where sky is 'piped'. If I went for sky+, would they then have to fit me with a dish so that I can use sky+?

CtA

sunny staines 16:41 08 Jun 2008

do these sky+ boxes allow you to save recorded programs to dvd or video or is it purley a large hard drive

benwil 16:49 08 Jun 2008

yes you can save them to dvd or video, use scart leads or your chosen method to transfer. further to sky+ installation get someone with sky+ or sky hd to reccomend you, you both get vouchers or discount!

evansg81 18:06 08 Jun 2008

Sorry but what's an LNB? :S

So does anyone know whether Sky allow you to install a box you've bought yourself or do they always charge you the £60? I'm hoping I can just ring them up and register it? (once I've found out what an LNB is and how to install one ;))

jimv7 18:06 08 Jun 2008

2 LNB's are needed as you will not be able to record 1 channel whilst watching another.

Plus the new box has to be registered with sky to be able to work with your card.

I have just had sky+ installed, the engineer removed the existing LNB and replaced with 2 new, then had to ring sky to register the sky+ box with my card before it would work.

jimv7 18:08 08 Jun 2008

LNB's explained click here

evansg81 18:10 08 Jun 2008

Oh so it's something that has to go on the dish by the looks of it. Doesn't look like the £60 installation is avoidable then even if you have your own box! (hoping it's not more if you don't buy the box from them)

evansg81 18:11 08 Jun 2008

PS thanks for the quick responses!

laurie53 19:51 08 Jun 2008

"So does anyone know whether Sky allow you to install a box you've bought yoursel"

Bought mine in Curry's, got a guy to connect the dual LNB and simply rang Sky to register the box to my card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?