sill newbie question?

dozyclover 21:46 01 Dec 2006

I only have one PC at home, with a broadband connection but the PC is very new and apparently has a wireless network adapter.
My first question is: could any of my neighbours pick up on my internet connection?
Second question: Or does this happen only when someone has two or more PCs in their house sharing a wireless connection?
Third question: If I added a PC and networked them but with a cable, not wirelessly, could a neighbour attempt to use my broadband connection?
Thanks!

mgmcc 09:06 02 Dec 2006

<<< My first question is: could any of my neighbours pick up on my internet connection? >>>

If you are not actually using the Wireless Network Adapter to connect to a Wireless Network (a wireless router or other wireless PC) then there is nothing for your neighbours to connect to.

<<< Second question: Or does this happen only when someone has two or more PCs in their house sharing a wireless connection? >>>

A wireless network between a single PC and a wireless router could be accessed by "uninvited guests" if it is "unsecured". You need to enable WEP or WPA encryption to prevent unauthorised access.

<<< Third question: If I added a PC and networked them but with a cable, not wirelessly, could a neighbour attempt to use my broadband connection? >>>

No. The only thing a neighbour could connect to is an "unsecured" wireless network, which you don't have. Simply having a Wireless Network Adapter installed in the PC isn't a risk. However, if it would make you feel happier, open the Network Connections folder (Control Panel > Network Connections), right click the "Wireless Network Connection" and select Disable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?