signs of psu failure ?

rabies 15:09 16 Jul 2005

Can anyone tell me if this could be the sign of a psu failure or perhaps something else. I was using my other comp. when everything on screen froze, ctrl-alt-del didn't work so I tried the restart but nothing happened. I can't start it at all, no lights, whizzes, bangs or anything. The cpu temp was showing at 56 with an amd athlonxp 2400, which I didn't think was too bad considering the outside temp. today. There was no smell of overheating, burning or anything. Thanks in advance.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:26 16 Jul 2005

If psu failed would expected total failure not just a freeze.

However now its totally dead check

1. power socket (plug something else into it)

2. cable to pc fully pushed in at rear of PC

3. fuse in plug

4. wires in plug

5. switch on rear of pc

dave-jens 15:32 16 Jul 2005

Are you using XP? Does it register with Windows on restart as a recovery from a serious error?

rabies 15:32 16 Jul 2005

Fruit bat
Thanks for your reply. I've just tried to start it up again after pushing and pulling at connections, plugs wires and everything else and it's now started. I didn't touch anything before it happened, so could it have been overheating?

Stuartli 15:39 16 Jul 2005

The most obvious thing to check first is that the system is receiving power.

You should check that the power cable is correctly attached as well as being undamaged, that the mains supply fuse has not blown and that it will power other devices and that the PSU's own power switch has not been inadvertently turned off. It may also have its own fuse but anything else should not be attempted with the PSU as capacitors may still contain high voltages.

After that you will have to check that the motherboard is receiving a power supply from the PSU i.e. that the long white rectangular plug is firmly connected.

The CPU might have become unseated or damaged despite your temperature readings - best way to check is in another system that will accommodate it. Don't try another CPU in your system, however, as any possible fault could damage it as well.

One other possibility is that the Bios or chipset may be malfunctioning.

Stuartli 15:43 16 Jul 2005

Typing whilst others posting...:-)

If the problem recurs and the temperatures are similar or higher then you have probably found the cause - current air temperatures are such that a CPU fan is having to work hard to combat them right from switch-on.

Perhaps your system case is in a corner or under a desk and warm air is being trapped around it?

rabies 15:56 16 Jul 2005

Stuartli,
"Perhaps your system case is in a corner or under a desk and warm air is being trapped around it?" Every bit is true!
Have you been in my house? Thanks for your help, I'll tick the box!

woodchip 15:58 16 Jul 2005

It may need Graphics driver update

rabies 16:11 16 Jul 2005

Thanks woodchip it has the latest graphics driver.

woodchip 16:17 16 Jul 2005

May be another program in the back ground running that conflicts. Try turning some of in Start\Run type MSCONFIG Startup Tab

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?